Portable buildings and plugs & sockets for t&e

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I do some work for a builder who builds wooden eco houses.

A lot of his projects are built as "portable buildings" which means they are built as sub sections in his workshop, transported to site and put together.

Usually they are just 2 modules, and I go to site after delivery to connect the wiring between the two halves and complete final testing.

But the latest one about to be started is pushing the definition of "portable building" to it's limits and consists of 4 modules, so more "stitching together" on site.

So I'm now turning my thoughts to plug / socket arrangements that might be suitable for making the inter module connections.

My thoughts are whatever plug / socket used must be accessible for inspection & testing, i.e behind a removeable panel. The connectors need to be suitable to properly terminat t&e cable (and sometimes 3c&e) so must be polarised. And I would want the pins to be shrouded, so if some eejit unscrewed the panel and unplugged one while live, the pins would be shrouded so no immediate danger.

Any thoughts on suitable connectors?

Yes, Click do 3 and 4 pin polerised connectors with shrouded pins. Can't put up link as on phone, but they were advertised in the latest practical electrician mag. Not sure what there rating goes up to though.

A lot of the "double unit" residential homes that I've done recently just have a load of Ceeform plugs and sockets in the loft,, 3 & 4 pin,,,, sometimes a couple of JB's,,,, and a crimp lug for any bonding

Last edited by a moderator: