Power

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surly to goodness its not that hard to isolate a few connections and re-test the circuit & its cables....

Just as if it were a new installtion....

IF the dead tests..

and all the cable calcs work out OK...

You can then do the LIVE tests..

If they all meet the requirements of BS7671...

then I would think your circuit will work......

But just random guessing and only doing LIVE tests...

you may as well go and ask the hairdresser to fix it themselves... 

As has been said.

Basic electrical theory and science should guide a competent electrician to the cause....

But then do they teach that to 5WW...??

or is it just multi-choice regs....??

:coat

I'm sorry but with the greatest respect, this thread is very worrying, you give the impression that you consider yourself competent and imply that you have checked and double checked everything, yet still struggle to diagnose the fault.

With respect if you havent found the fault then considering all things from a customer point of view, I'd recommend that you ask for a local spark, perhaps from the forum to attend and offer their expertise. The result being that your customer will have a safe installation and you may learn something in the process.

From a totally neutral standpoint, you are not painting a very good picture of your abilities, perhaps a sign of the direction of the trade over recent years?

Just to let you know the fault was found and it was a simple mix up between n new coolers and old colours mixed up with the earth. Fault rectified

Excellent..

Forget that, Ive had a change of mind....

How did you not spot that before?

and how would that have caused the "volt drop" that you fought that you'd found?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would incorrect polarity cause such a volt drop? Was the swa 2 or 3 core? Do you think there was still loose connections that you have now got rid of when you reterminated the cable?

They used 3 core. I found it by putting a amp meter around each core and got 45a on every core.

They used 3 core. I found it by putting a amp meter around each core and got 45a on every core.
Sorry, but I still cant see how that would cause volt drop.

Can you explain how the cable was connected incorrectly?

Black was n front end and then on the link boxes grey was n.

Re did connections as the cores were cut to make room. So replaced the link boxes for larger ones

Well after we did that no volt drop at all

Black was n front end and then on the link boxes grey was n.

Re did connections as the cores were cut to make room. So replaced the link boxes for larger ones

Well after we did that no volt drop at all

So was it n-e incorrect polarity?  What was the supply earthing arrangements?