Private Landlords And Electricity - Anyone Have A Link To The Legalities?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my clients has a commercial premises, with 4 flats attached.

There is one DNO supply the premises; with 4 sub-mains to the flats, each through its own meter.

One of the tenants says this is illegal, and they MUST have the right to choose their own supplier.

Now I know that is nonsense - the landlord must not make a profit on resale of the electricity.

So my client splits the standing charge 5 ways - then charges the tenant an amount, based on 1/5th of the standing charge, plus the units used in that period, at the rate shown on their bill. I`m happy with most of that - not certain they can include the standing charge; but I`m not certain.

Does anyone have a link to a legal-ese document; outlining the rules for this? I`m sure I recall one - but can`t find the damn thing!!!

Thanks

KME 

Martyn  , have a look at my thread with a similar title to this ,  I think Andy linked something in on charges, I'll check.

I was told recently by the DNO  here , WP,  that under their latest regs , they have to install an incomer to each flat ( which this landlord didn't want to pay for )     And because these meters & cut-out were up by the ceiling ...they can't work at that height  (8 ft)

Martyn  , have a look at my thread with a similar title to this ,  I think Andy linked something in on charges, I'll check.

I was told recently by the DNO  here , WP,  that under their latest regs , they have to install an incomer to each flat ( which this landlord didn't want to pay for )     And because these meters & cut-out were up by the ceiling ...they can't work at that height  (8 ft)

Has it got something to do with smart metering>? i.e : lets give everyone a hundred amps to play with?

Not that the network could cope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts