Problem of the week - what`s the best way?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe its time for another one?

I`d ask the "old-timers" to let the students have a go at it first, please.

You`ve been called in to an outbuilding, approx 3M from the main property (a public house)

The outbuilding is being converted to a micro-brewery.

Within the room are 9 metal vats, used for fermenting the beer ( :) :) :) )

On the wall is a board, with a temperature controller for each vessel - with a relay (switch) output - don`t worry about the thermostat side of this....its all been done for you ;)

Now:

against one wall are ten beer coolers - which consist of two parts:

part 1) A compressor, condenser, and water bath. When power is applied, the water in the bath is chilled.

part 2) A pump, and coil. The coil is immersed in the chilled water, and the pump drives the chilled water out to a coil embedded in the vessels.

All of the vessels and chillers must be removable from the room, for cleaning purposes, on a regular basis. The chillers are stand-alone units; with a 5A rated compressor section; and a 1A pump motor, which plugs into the body of the unit.

What we need:

To be able to control each chiller from the relay output of the temperature controller, and be able to remove the chillers from the room for cleaning.

To make matters a little worse:

each chiller "dumps" the heat returning from the fermentation units, by passing it through a "radiator" mounted externally to the building. These external units are fitted with a 24V fan, fitted with a longish lead and large plug to fit into its respective chiller unit. But the hole through the wall is too small for the plug, and you cannot drill the hole out. (The cable will go through).

There are two existing 4mm radial circuits,supplied by B32A RCBos. There is spare capacity to the DB.

You will note there are ten chillers, but only nine vessels. Any thoughts as to why?

Thoughts??

KME

But the hole through the wall is too small for the plug, and you cannot drill the hole out. (The cable will go through).You will note there are ten chillers, but only nine vessels. Any thoughts as to why?

Thoughts??

KME
Any clues as to the type of plug here? Commando? 13A? Bath 1.25inch!!!? :Blushing

Can the plug be removed from the cable and passed through the wall and reconnected?

9 vats......

10 chillers....?

1 x standby in case of failure....

Can't have the beer c0cked up due to poor temp control!?

:C :C

{students gone AWOL cuz of the bank holiday methinks! :| }

OK

Type of plug is 24V DC (non-reversible) 2 pin, push fit with screw-down shroud.

If there is a way into the plug itself - I haven`t found it - think it might be permanent.

link to the chillers:

http://www.manitowocbeverage.co.uk/docs/uploaded/mbs/uk/products/mbs_vision34.pdf

manual for use:

http://www.manitowocbeverage.co.uk/docs/uploaded/sbs/product/wdeins099-b.pdf

Can`t find detail of the 24V plug.

Nice idea r.e. the "spare" chiller - but it would have to be manually piped up; therefore you`d have to know it had failed.

Any more?

Well!

Thats all my brain power expended for tonight.....

I shall go and open another beer before bed!

GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

:coat

If you can get me a piccie of the plug i may have a contact who can help.

Alternatives being maybe, cutting and rejoining the 24v cable or i do have another alternative but would likely void the warrenty if we changed the socket on the machine for a lead going to a 24v ceeform socket on the wall so the units can still be removed for cleaning.

As for 9 vats 10 chillers...

1 chiller provides cold water feed to the other units?

Phones still dead or i would of called you back friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem bud.

Sod the voided warranty - they`re old-ish units anyway.

The extra cooler - you`re close.......

Clue: the chillers are under a purpose-built lean-to outside the brewery proper. 2nd clue: think "snakes" ;)

Jono: I`ll get a pic of the plug - think I might be able to get `em from the company in the link I posted either - but I will let you know :)

Hmm snakes just confused me which isnt hard at the moment and isnt helping me price up for Petes new workshop.

Similar, but not as good.

PVC plugs, with 2 pins and a small plastic internal keyway in the plug. Threaded captive nut around the plug....

(I`ll take a pic tomorrow, if I remember.)

Jono: thought you weren`t working for him again?

Snake.........Beer Pythons, Postmix Python, Thermal Barrier Python, Co-Axial Python, Non Insulated Bundle Python, Super-Lite Python

The "python" is approx 25 metres long - contains 12 x 10mm pipes, and 2 x 15 mm pipes, all wrapped in a foam cover.

Each pair of 10mm pipes is flow / return to an individual vessel.

The 15mm pipes are flow/return to the python itself - i.e. connected together at the furthest end - cooling the coolant lines :)

That is the "spare" chiller - it cools the piping in the python :)

Not PV Pete id rather go hungry than do anything for that douche. Dads business partners got a new workshop he needs kitting out next time im back up donny way.

Ahh thats what you ment by snake.

Will catch up when me phones fixed, orange are being less than helpful.