problem with this incoming ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
havent you lot heard of that new style cable, called invisible :^O :^O:coat
Like that on lol...........I have inspected this insallation and there never has been an Earth cable as the normal entry point is still intact...........I thought it was just me going Mad but no..... only Earthing there is is some bonding and a 4mm to the Gas and the Water .........tried doing a ZS test and the readings were very high ( 4.56 ) :z

Is there an earth block on the side of the head??

What's the Ze there (if there is one)??

A Ze of 4.56ohms would suggest that the water/gas is being used as the earth which is against regs..

If there is no earth block (on head) then this will be a TT installation

That service head has been recently installed. i would have a guess that it was TT previously, and they have now allowed a TNCS, but this hasnt been used

a Zs of 4.56 sounds about right even for TT - you will always get current using gas/water as an earth. and often it goes though the metallic pipes to the next house ,through there clamp/main earthing and onto a TNS or TNCS supply, which brings value right down

Did you fit a main earth? I see the supply co. have fitted the tamper shield on the incomers. There are areas in Birmingham where they clad the whole cut-out and incomers in tamperproof sheet steel !!!!!

Went to a house there once to find the meter board on hinges !!

No I didn't fit a main earth was thinking about doing it but had to make sure that I would be doing the right thing...............

DSC00029.jpg

No I didn't fit a main earth was thinking about doing it but had to make sure that I would be doing the right thing...............
if it says PME, then its suitable for PME if you want to use it. just because its there doesnt mean you have to use it

if it says PME, then its suitable for PME if you want to use it. just because its there doesnt mean you have to use it
Will have to use it or i'm never going to get the ZS readings down :D What are the alternatives ?

Where's the main earth terminal with main earthing conductor and 10mm2 bonding ?? :_|

Will have to use it or i'm never going to get the ZS readings down :D What are the alternatives ?
First of all I would want to find where the 4ohms is from..

e.g. is it though bonding?

or is there a Rod somewhere that you haven't found?

What other earth wires are in the CU?

First of all I would want to find where the 4ohms is from..e.g. is it though bonding?

or is there a Rod somewhere that you haven't found?

What other earth wires are in the CU?
I would suspect this is a two wire loop test and the return via the neutral.

Or a 3 wire test on the bonding inside the cu finding its way back to neutral or down the gas and water connections.

The earthing would need to be traced if present, and made right if not.

If there is a rod it should be easy to trace.

If the supply is PME then it would appear that the dno have not allowed a connection to the met, this may be because in that area a TT installation is preferrd or the old sod it the sparky has left no earth cable so they can do without.

Never assume an earthing arrangement always ask the dno for clarification, give them your readings when you call them and they should if they are responsible come out and connect to the met.

er... Ze can be upto 200 ohms, and Zs can be upto 1667 ohms with 30mA RCD....
For a TT system yes, but this is not a TT system as there is no earth rod anywhere :_| There is a earth wire taht comes out of the wall at the front of the house in to a little box thats fixed in to the ground ( see pics ) there is 3 earth wires in the cu, 1 from the gas, 1 from the water and 1 from bonding in the downstairs shower :coat

front of the house 1.jpg

front of the house.jpg

For a TT system yes, but this is not a TT system as there is no earth rod anywhere :_| There is a earth wire that comes out of the wall at the front of the house in to a little box thats fixed in to the ground ( see pics ) there is 3 earth wires in the cu, 1 from the gas, 1 from the water and 1 from bonding in the downstairs shower :coat
That is the earth rod, so this is a TT system

(refer to your 2nd picture)

The Godfather