"professionally" installed new boiler...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Family member had a lot of work done some months back, they ended up kickeing the builder out...

Now, the newly installed boiler is having problems and I'm reluctantly getting draggedd into the whole mess.

Upstairs stat dosent seem to turn the heating off, downstairs one does. I've never had anything to do with heating systems but I'm pretty sure this is a shoddy jobby...

Sheath ripped open way outside enclosure...

photo2.jpg

Twisted my head round to see a lovely job of box butchering... Cables gripped/nipped by box lid, all fell out when lid removed.

photo1.JPG

Looks like a second load from the spur is stuffed in the top of the spur - not sure if there is actually a box in the plasterboared or just a hole cut in board, not had time to look.

photo.jpg

and yes that is a cable covered with a bit of conduit lid cable clipped into position.

Also...

Swapped two stats over - not expecting a cure but was asked to do it,

Noticed 3 core flex used on both stats, sheath outside of enclosure with cores nipped into position by surface mounted stat

Connections:

Green Yellow-Common

Brown - N/O

Blue - cut off!

Motorised valve behind storage vessel - god knows how thats servicible

That is too rough even for a Plumber, mind you, having said that there is one around these 'ere parts that could do it! A right fricking clever [email protected] in law called him in to look at her [faulty] hot water. I caught him pratting around with the room stat, said he did not understand the complexities of her 'very old and in need of ripping out and replacing ' system. Sundial 'S' plan FFS not exactly rocket science. Door duly shown........ :coat

saw one the other day with the hot water vent pipe fixed directly over the top of the top entry element. That will be fun to replace.

Trouble is builders and customers don't want to loose space so they build the airing cupboard as small as possible. Shame they don't have to work in them they may change there tune then.

Connections:Green Yellow-Common

Brown - N/O

Blue - cut off!

Motorised valve behind storage vessel - god knows how thats servicible
Green yellow - common!!!!!

Hmmmmmmm... nice bit of compliance with 514.4.2???

NOT!!!! headbang

I had to change an immersion heater this week. Tank on a stand near the top of the cupboard, top entry heater.

I had to cut a hole in the ceiling to pass the heater up into the loft to get it out. Ditto for the replacement, fed down from the loft through the hole.

I live in a Maisonette (all on ground floor/no upstairs) and my immersion heater has the header tank directly above built on a shelve. When the element packs up, the whole cylinder has to be unplumbed, lifted out, replaced then plumbed back in. And to add insult to injury takes hours to drain down. Prob loads like this about but a real PITA

haha, almost exactly like some of the f-ups ive been to which the plumber "did electrics,mate". I wire 4-5 heating systems a week, i was screwed when i first started a few years back when it came to anything tricky, experience helps, i think i could say im confident with any heating system now, get your self Domestic Central Heating Wiring Systems and Controls by ray ward, it has nearly every type of heating system diagram, helped me tons, expensive but worth it.

andy

or,

simply learn how switches work,

then you can wire any sort of heating system up simply by designing your own circuit.

BTW, Im not knocking you for getting yourself a good book and some knowledge gained by experience,

everyone starts somewhere,

but now you want to actually look at the systems and work out why they are done like that, once you understand that, you will be able to wire any type up with your head.

yea ive seen zone valves in a converted office block switched via mk grid switches, simple but effective. :S

stats and valves are just switches and motors, in fact, valves sometimes have a motor that activates a switch (or switches) that then control various other things depending on what position the valve has been set to open to,

- think about 3 port valves that fire the boiler up when the programmer or stat tells them to open.

Latest posts