Quinetic Switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joolsmy

Reaction score
I had a small porch extension built with a 2 gang by the door for the external and internal lighting. It would be handy to have a second 2 gang switch at the inner entrance to porch. I've seen advertised Quinetic switches which remove the need for extra wiring, can anyone offer an opinion on these switches? Thanks.

joolsmy, not sure if you know, but the switch operates a receiver that has to be mounted near the light, but as Kerching points out, Quinetic make 2 ranges, they work the same, but they are NOT interchangeable. One has a remote receiver (That as I said you mount near the light) the other has the receiver built into the switch. The idea being you can then "programme" more switches to the new light switch. You will need a 25mm deep back box for this switch.

I think I'm reading right that he has an existing 2G switch that controls two lights, and he wants another 2G switch to control the same two lights.
Options are therefore:
1 - replace the existing 2G switch with a QU RS2W (and yes as above a 25mm box is needed).
OR
2 - Fit receivers at both lights (e.g. QU R303) , and dispense with the existing conventional 2G switch.

In both cases the new switch can be any transmitting switch, e.g 2 QU WS2W, or made up of grid switch modules. Just not a receiving switch.
You could also add a key fob switch, or PIR, to turn a light on before you get there.

For a long time there were just receivers and transmitters, and things were simple! Then they added the receiver-switch range for this exact scenario.

I think I'm reading right that he has an existing 2G switch that controls two lights, and he wants another 2G switch to control the same two lights.
Options are therefore:
1 - replace the existing 2G switch with a QU RS2W (and yes as above a 25mm box is needed).
OR
2 - Fit receivers at both lights (e.g. QU R303) , and dispense with the existing conventional 2G switch.

In both cases the new switch can be any transmitting switch, e.g 2 QU WS2W, or made up of grid switch modules. Just not a receiving switch.
You could also add a key fob switch, or PIR, to turn a light on before you get there.

For a long time there were just receivers and transmitters, and things were simple! Then they added the receiver-switch range for this exact scenario.
Option 1 is what I had in mind but that was before I was aware of the other possibilities :) Will give it some thought and also check the box depth.

I had a small porch extension built with a 2 gang by the door for the external and internal lighting. It would be handy to have a second 2 gang switch at the inner entrance to porch. I've seen advertised Quinetic switches which remove the need for extra wiring, can anyone offer an opinion on these switches? Thanks.
Excellent devices. Mine lose sync occasionally but easy to resync when it happens. They have recently introduced a receiver with volt free contacts which is handy for heating systems and other odd situations.
My mrs is disabled so with a triple switch beside her chair she can control the room lighting and turn the heating on and off.

I have used Quinetic. So far I have had no problems with them. The customer was using the switch around 30m away from the receiver (which was placed in a weatherproof box). There are other cheaper brands out there which use kinetic energy but I have stuck to the well known brand 'Quinetic' to avoid any problems.

As with any electrics, I would always advise you to get an electrician to install it.