RCB blowing,

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian57

Reaction score
Hello, I am hopeful that somebody can give me some info with regard to RCBs and MCB since I have a small problem (I think), details as follows:

I have a MK consummer unit populated with RCBs and MCB and I am extending the lighting circuit which is protected by a 6amp MCB.

Before extending the cable I switched off the 6A MCB and commenced work, during the work, the earth and neutral wires touched and the RCB tripped, which surprised me somewhat. I reset the RCB and checked the voltage between the earth and neutral and there is nothing to speak about but each time I short out the earth and Neutral the RCB trips. Is this normal? I had assummed that earth and neutral would be at the same potential. Any help would be greatly appricated.

Ian

Perfectly normal I doubt there isn't an electrician about who hasn't had it happen to them.

Yep, all normal. Technically created an earth fault between earth and neutral. An MCB only isolates the Line (Live) conductor.
The modern day electrician fears the cpc (earth) more than the Line these days. On split RCD boards anyway. For this exact case. working away on lights, etc and end up tripping RCD and knocking the RCD out when the customer is working or doing something else important with socket power.