RCB keeps tripping on lighting rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt1194

Reaction score
I’ve recently wired up a new lighting circuit for the upstairs of my house due to it being dated and having no earth present. I called in an electrician to connect this circuit up to the consumer unit. 

However, when a load is added to the circuit the rcb trips out but the mcb stays on. 

I’ve removed everything from the circuit minus a single switch and a ceiling rose - again, it only trips when the switch is switched on and there is a bulb in the pendant. I’ve also checked the condition of the cables, all in good order. Both the switch and the rose are definitely wired correctly - the only thing I can think of is the electrician missing something within the consumer unit? 

I’ve taken a look behind the cover of the consumer unit and wouldn’t be brave enough (or stupid enough) to touch anything but shouldn’t this mcb be connected to the busbar coming out of the rcb? (See attached photo) I’ve circled all cables/mcb related to the new circuit. 

6-CDB774-C-712-B-4-FAB-A5-A0-A93-A741-DB1-DE.jpg.72af7597b7f7446f97ca6bc135aa6ef8.jpg

Any replies/help would be greatly appreciated as I’m currently without lighting upstairs 😒

Thanks!

I’ve recently wired up a new lighting circuit for the upstairs of my house due to it being dated and having no earth present. I called in an electrician to connect this circuit up to the consumer unit. 

However, when a load is added to the circuit the rcb trips out but the mcb stays on. 

I’ve removed everything from the circuit minus a single switch and a ceiling rose - again, it only trips when the switch is switched on and there is a bulb in the pendant. I’ve also checked the condition of the cables, all in good order. Both the switch and the rose are definitely wired correctly - the only thing I can think of is the electrician missing something within the consumer unit? 

I’ve taken a look behind the cover of the consumer unit and wouldn’t be brave enough (or stupid enough) to touch anything but shouldn’t this mcb be connected to the busbar coming out of the rcb? (See attached photo) I’ve circled all cables/mcb related to the new circuit. 

Any replies/help would be greatly appreciated as I’m currently without lighting upstairs 😒

Thanks!

:C    :shakehead

I don't believe an electrician has been involved with any of this....

Just sounds more like a DIY c0ck up...

Who sorted out the Part-P compliance for this new circuit????

Last edited by a moderator:
So let me get this right. You paid an electrician to rewire a circuit,  That rewired circuit does not work.  Why has he not come back to make it work?  Why did you even let him leave if it did not work?  What has he said about it not working?  Have you paid him for providing you with a non working circuit?

Yes that MCB should be connected to the busbar from the RCD. Any electrician would know that. He will need a new length of busbar to correct that.

Well that doesn't look like it complies with the latest regs...but what do I know
I don't think it was a CU swap, that's a 16 edition split load board.

I think it is one new (rewired) circuit that should now be on the RCD side. The N is, but the L isn't.

by the looks of it, its been a DIY rewire, an 'electrician' has connect it without any I&T and connected it with a fault and the RCD is doing its job

I don't think it was a CU swap, that's a 16 edition split load board.

I think it is one new (rewired) circuit that should now be on the RCD side. The N is, but the L isn't.
That was what I was alluding to , in my subtle way, but didn't want to identify the actual fault

if it was  an "electrician" ( and I use the word electrician is the loosest of diarrhoea type form of the definition ) then the "electrician" needs his neon shoving sideways up his Arsenal 1 Chelsea 1

just saying 

looks like a continuous length of busbar to me - main switch to RCD?
Could well be, but is a lousy pic. I thought that the bit of,plastic dead centre was the spacer between the two busbar

the electrician has prob retuned and sorted it all,out now and notified Building Control,and issued the paperwork

Could well be, but is a lousy pic. I thought that the bit of,plastic dead centre was the spacer between the two busbar

the electrician has prob retuned and sorted it all,out now and notified Building Control,and issued the paperwork

does look like a split board with a gap in the busbar behind the plastic holder

the 'electrician', dave from the pub, has probably not returned and cannot be contacted

To me it looks like the busbar is split in the middle, with left hand 3 MCB’s through RCD and the right hand 3 MCB’s through isolator, with the new lighting circuit neutral being on the wrong neutral busbar.

Surely can't be? The RCD would never set if so, as live would be bypassed and the first neutral current would trip it?
good point, it's just hard to tell from picture.

To me it looks like the busbar is split in the middle, with left hand 3 MCB’s through RCD and the right hand 3 MCB’s through isolator, with the new lighting circuit neutral being on the wrong neutral busbar.
you would hope so....  :^O