Rccb Keep Tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the sarcasm. I hope once I've got some experience under my belt I don't become as arrogant as you pair.

I am newly qualified, looking for a electricians mate job and undertaking small jobs for friends and family for the experience more than anything else.

I would welcome comments from 'professionals' who are on the site to offer genuine help and not boost their egos.

Many thanks.  

Lets,s start again again. Problem with cooker socket, cooker is not connected but still keep tripping the C/B. As soon I try to switch on the C/B of cooker it trips main switch. any suggestions? 

Best Regards

Ok let's put it another way,you wouldn't advise kids to play with fire unless supervised by a competent person to put it out?

So the moral is get the job as a mate, gain the experience then tackle your friends and family jobs, otherwise you may inadvertently put them in a grave.

Professional advice given.

Lets,s start again again. Problem with cooker socket, cooker is not connected but still keep tripping the C/B. As soon I try to switch on the C/B of cooker it trips main switch. any suggestions? 

Best Regards
If the cooker is not connected the fault is in the cable or cooker switch. However you mentioned earlier it was an RCD that was tripping and there were no C/B only fuses. Which is it ?

Harris786  i dont think peeps are on here to boost there ego's, i just think

1. they get frustrated when they try to help somebody who doesnt know some of the basics.

2. Its an internet forum so its more difficult as other members dont know you and they dont know the installation.

3. Some of the members were concerned that you were doing this fault finding as a service for a member of the public.

So maybe next time

1. Give us a little more info on yourself and that your doing it as a favour for a friend in return for the experience.

2. Definately go and get some more training on testing and get some guidance books like onsite guide, GN3

Then when you are stuck with a problem you could say something like

" Hey guys,  have a problem with cooker cct which has been disconnected and have R1+R2 readings were lets say 0.23ohms, IR readings were L-N >299Mohms, L-E 50Mohms, N-E 0 Megohms

then you would get a quicker answer to your solution and less headache for everyone.

If your not sure on the testing procedure, then again no problem as everyone was/ is a learner.

Just post that seperately, and people will help.  but for learning either do it at college, or make up a test board at home.

Thanks for the sarcasm. I hope once I've got some experience under my belt I don't become as arrogant as you pair.

I am newly qualified, looking for a electricians mate job and undertaking small jobs for friends and family for the experience more than anything else.

I would welcome comments from 'professionals' who are on the site to offer genuine help and not boost their egos.

Many thanks.
1. No sarcasm from me Harris - I purely responded to your posts. I hope you`ll stop trying to do things that are obviously beyond your current skill level. Arrogant? No - just upset that someone with your level of knowledge thinks it acceptable to "do small jobs", when you don`t understand the basics of what you`re doing, and why.

2. Newly qualified? What qualifications do you have? This helps us all understand the best way to describe things. We don`t want to "talk down" to you; but neither does anyone want to blind you with science. Trying to gain experience is all very laudable, but, without sufficient skill & knowledge, its potentially hazardous to other peoples` health. Do you have adequate insurance?

3. Professionals? I was "newly qualified" 26 years ago, and am still learning. No-one who has replied to your posts is anything but professional, in my opinion - and I`ve met many of `em, or know of them by reputation. I WAS offering "genuine help" - I don`t need to "boost my ego". I know what I know, but, more importantly, and the difference between us - I know what i DON`T know.

However, if that is your attitude towards my posts - I shall trouble you no more. I`ll go attempt to help those who appreciate it, instead.

edit: just seen Robin`s post.
Maybe he sums it up for you, in a more understandable way than I do - ask Robin about the replies he gets ( or look up some of the past ones) - we aren`t here to "big ourselves up" - I do this for the love of the industry - nothing more. If that doesn`t "float your boat" - then I`ll :coat

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets,s start again again. Problem with cooker socket, cooker is not connected but still keep tripping the C/B. As soon I try to switch on the C/B of cooker it trips main switch. any suggestions?

Best Regards

Same reply as I said  in post #19!!!!!!!

3/ Disconnecting any cables at the cooker switch.. will still leave a cable connected to the fuse box..

(N-E can still cause an RCD to trip on this cable.)

Or maybe this is to complex to understand??

I will say it slowly..

"Try looking at the cooker circuit supply cable from the fuse box to the cooker switch maybe????"

headbang

but then of course when some people keep typing questions on the internet...

without the ability to understand the answers given...

so it can be tricky to get the answers across  ..

PLEASE do not forget...

Electricity can kill a healthy adult in less than half a second...

when BASICS are clearly a bit complex for someone to understand..

Then they should not be messing around endangering friends and family until they know how to identify basic fault symptoms safely.