rcd protection required?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

Reaction score
In a domestic property my boss has used swa to go from the meter/isolator at the front of the property under the floorboards (cable resting on earth) and up in to the cu cupboard, a run of approx 8m. The discussion which we couldnt get the answer from the regs (maybe looking in wrong place) does the swa need to be on a rcd? Opinions please.

In a domestic property my boss has used swa to go from the meter/isolator at the front of the property under the floorboards (cable resting on earth) and up in to the cu cupboard, a run of approx 8m. The discussion which we couldnt get the answer from the regs (maybe looking in wrong place) does the swa need to be on a rcd? Opinions please.
No, unless disconnection times are not met.

Are you thinking of the "Buried in the wall less than 50mm deep" thingy?

If so its OK under the floor and if it were buried in the wall the armouring would exempt it from that particular PITA Reg.

Does your boss not know these things Guy?

I am pretty confident he does. I think his concern is the black swa in a dark environment where a builder/home owner might not expect to find/recognise it. I said that the swa is basically just meter tails and they dont need protection so why the swa, his reply was along the lines of 'tails are on show and recognisable'.

I am pretty confident he does. I think his concern is the black swa in a dark environment where a builder/home owner might not expect to find/recognise it. I said that the swa is basically just meter tails and they dont need protection so why the swa, his reply was along the lines of 'tails are on show and recognisable'.
I'm not so confident lol

sorry, I am missing what reg is being referred to? Is he not just considering 'belt and braces'.

The use of SWA cable for distribution is a viable solution. There is no need to compliment the installation with a RCD unless as suggested above disconnection times can not be met.

I do however question your bosses concerns as to suitability, the regulations are very clear, and easy to read. I have just installed a 5 core swa for a new distribution board, via a 4 pole isolator clipped direct,no RCD required and it would take a total numpty to not recognise that its a supply cable.

We were driving back in the van just chatting about it, the regs were in the dash so I had a look and found nothing concrete. Thought I would just throw the question out and get a bit of feedback and now feel like I am having to defend my boss, ffs

The armour would be earthed (I would hope), so would this not be similar to earthed steel conduit omission of RCD?

Boss needs to go back to college. basic stuff IMHO. Doc H

we were just chatting in the van, 'was there any reason it should be on a rcd' etc and now he is getting slated, forget I mentioned it.

we were just chatting in the van, 'was there any reason it should be on a rcd' etc and now he is getting slated, forget I mentioned it.
Don't worry, just ask, does it matter?

Well said slips, why would it need an rcd? Discuss?

Guy, the problem lies with your OP , IMHO, and not with the replies.

if you have a basic question then put it in the student bit,

if you have something that you need debate on, then ask it in the proper manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.