Re-wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jummp

Reaction score
1688339710377.png
Hello,
I'm writing a consent form for the council to make changes to a flat I'm buying in a listed building. I've asked the owner for a report on the state of the wiring etc. but want to submit the form asap as it takes two months for them to respond. I think it pretty likely the wiring was last done in the '90s. On the basis of these images, how dated does it look and would I be safe in assuming it needs to be redone? Any pointers appreciated!

1688339963509.png

That's pretty old, but cabling is good for around 60 years. I would get it tested to ascertain cable condition, it may well be in good service le condition, saving a rewire

With installations as old as this you generally find that there is a limited number of sockets unless the installation has been updated with extra sockets over a period of time
Even if the existing wiring is ok some thought needs to be given to the fact it is probably easier to rewire now before carrying out redecoration than it is after

I'm buying it as a refurb project so I'm willing to have rewiring if needed (it's only a one-bedroom flat). I've asked the buyer to provide a report but I don't want to wait for it to complete the consent form.

Would it be possible to update the externals, i.e. switchboard and sockets without a full re-do? i.e. are there different levels of upgrade?

Otherwise I think I'll just ask consent to do the whole lot and then only carry out what's needed.

I'm buying it as a refurb project so I'm willing to have rewiring if needed (it's only a one-bedroom flat). I've asked the buyer to provide a report but I don't want to wait for it to complete the consent form.

Would it be possible to update the externals, i.e. switchboard and sockets without a full re-do? i.e. are there different levels of upgrade?

Otherwise I think I'll just ask consent to do the whole lot and then only carry out what's needed.

I would recommend you engage your own sparks to do the EICR

Other than that we are all guessing

I suppose the question to be asked is are you buying this as a refurb to live in, sell on or rent out
It may be possible to update only the consmer unit and accessories but a lot would depend on what you are buying the property for as I doubt there being enough sockets for today's needs
Does the consent you are applying for have any time scales attached to it and can it lapse, then will there be any issues in the future if the consent is given and work is not carried out, if the consent lapses will this affect any future applications for consent for other work

Your comments suggest you are intending to do the bare minimum which could be a costly mistake in the future

Hello,
I've asked the owner for a report on the state of the wiring etc.
If I was the seller I would tell you to go ahead and get an EICR.

The convention is that the buyer commissions and pays for any surveys he wants including electrics.

I would not trust a survey provided by the vendor for obvious reasons.

The only socket you have shewn is OK and does not need updating. The CU requires RCD protection.

If you aim is to resell, then a full rewire is a selling point in its own right. If renting, then it's peace of mind and safety fir the tennant, if keeping to live in, it's peace of mind for yourself. A one bed flat won't cost megabucks to rewire

I heard they're changing the law and all landlords in future will have to put themselves on the landlord registry . To prevent pensioners and ppl on assistance from being refused affordable housing and part of that is having to produce gas and safety certificates .
Not saying that properties with old wiring don't pass but they will usually give you so many months to upgrade to the latest standard which is why you rarely find BLK and red wiring in rentals .

which is why you rarely find BLK and red wiring in rentals .

????

Nothing at all wrong with Red/Black conductor identification on any existing installation...
Providing the Continuity, IR, Zs, protective devices etc, are all appropriate...
Then the colour of the cable insulation presents no immediate or potential danger.

Red/Black identified conductors are equally capable as Brown/Blue conductors, to operate any protective devices fast enough to provide the required ADS, to ensure the safety of people, property and livestock.

Which are key consideration when evaluating if an existing installation is satisfactory for continued use, rental or private.

I heard they're changing the law and all landlords in future will have to put themselves on the landlord registry . To prevent pensioners and ppl on assistance from being refused affordable housing and part of that is having to produce gas and safety certificates .
Not saying that properties with old wiring don't pass but they will usually give you so many months to upgrade to the latest standard which is why you rarely find BLK and red wiring in rentals .

that’s just nonsense

you do realise that black and red conductors were still being installed 20 years ago ?

found plenty of black and red in rentals, upgrading rarely involves rewiring, more changing of the consumer unit and earth bonding to comply with todays regs.

Save your money mate. Buy the house then get the sparky to sort the electrics.

Latest posts