Re-wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting view point that illegal immigration, riots and free/subsidised housing don't go hand in hand? Bit naive IMO: https://apnews.com/article/france-police-shooting-far-right-85adc47ce3e6982879b391fcd84758e9

Racism, along with far right politics is very much on the rise across the globe. Democracy is very much under attack, and the lies and disinformation spread about on social media has a lot to do with that. I also see this as a gut reaction to globalisation, and the loss of good jobs, all part of neolibralism, that makes the wealthy ever more powerful. I don't see this as anything to do with living in a council house.

Racism, along with far right politics is very much on the rise across the globe. Democracy is very much under attack, and the lies and disinformation spread about on social media has a lot to do with that. I also see this as a gut reaction to globalisation, and the loss of good jobs, all part of neolibralism, that makes the wealthy ever more powerful. I don't see this as anything to do with living in a council house.

Hum. It’s the bitter hypocritical left stirring up trouble most of the time

Hum. It’s the bitter hypocritical left stirring up trouble most of the time
Since when we're facist shit stirrers left wing? Don't get me wrong, there's left wing shit stirrers as well, but racism, is very much a right wing thing, as is control of the masses for the benefit of the wealthy.

Attachments

• IMG_20230711_080004.jpg
    IMG_20230711_080004.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Since when we're facist shit stirrers left wing? Don't get me wrong, there's left wing shit stirrers as well, but racism, is very much a right wing thing, as is control of the masses for the benefit of the wealthy.

There’s plenty of rubbish spouted by the Left

Why can’t political parties actually be positive about what they plan to do?

It’s a bit like the playground at junior school these days

There’s plenty of rubbish spouted by the Left

Why can’t political parties actually be positive about what they plan to do?

It’s a bit like the playground at junior school these days

I look at things from a purely pragmatic point of view. We've spent 40 years following neoliberal policies, during that time the country has got worse, and the wealthiest wealthier. Services are shite and on the brink of collapse, and all the things done that wre supposed to save tax payers money, are actually costing us more. We have food banks everywhere, in a wealthy country like ours- WFF! And people are literally dying. So, you have to beg the question why the hell are we doing the same thing over and over again? Even worse, the likes of Liz Truss telling us were just being too soft, before firking the economy right up!

I'll give you an example of ' money saving' . The railways under BR were subsidised by the tax payer, we still subsidise rail, but in real terms that has cost us £66billion more than what we paid BR. Plus made £billions for everyone else's state run railways, who actually have the franchises, plus they have clocked up over £50billion in debts. BR had no debt. So at say 5% interest rate, that's something like £25million per year in interest. You will hear the government say , but they have invested £117billion in rail - bs! Not a single penny of that has gone into the infrastructure, it's what it cost them to buy shares and extract money from us

Landlords can not just evict someone, either the tenant has miss behaved or the legal process is not being followed.

Main land Europe is a leader in social housing.
Yes they can. Much is made of the supposed legal fact that a tenant can make a landlord do repairs. In practice, you just get evicted. You can be evicted anytime the landlord likes, they just have to gove you 2 months notice i think it is..

Problem is that taxes will have to go up but nobody wants to discuss this

We’re not stupid so I just want honesty from the parties
Tax may increase, although there's no actual need to do this if you shut all the tax loopholes down that mean big companies off shore their profits to countries like Ireland, who, incidentally are running a £20 billion surplus - guess whose money that is?

But, if paying more tax means you get better services, and ultimately costs you less money, then why not do this? It's a funny thing, I agree with a lot of what the Tories say, but the extremist version of that party is costing me, and you, money. Everytime you use anything from a privatised business, you are paying a profit on it, as well as massive wages for the CEOs. Then there's stuff like health care, the yanks spend 3 times more than we do on their privatised health care system. I need to get an X ray for my dog, £1200, just for that. Apply vet bills to your health..... And i'll come back to a fave of mine, potholes, not filling the ******* things in means bits of my vehicles keep breaking, I would estimate potholes have cost me several £k to date, and I've got to fix my Moho after a bracket fell off on the motorway yesterday after clanging numerous potholes on the M5. That will be expensive and it was ******* dangerous doing a temporary bodge on the hard shoulder going through Birmingham 😱😱😱😱. Also look at all the happiest countries, they pay only 4% more tax than we do, but have excellent services and far more generous pensions.

Tax WILL increase, although there's no actual need to do this if you shut all the tax loopholes down that mean big companies off shore their profits to countries like Ireland, who, incidentally are running a £20 billion surplus - guess whose money that is?

The loop holes you suggest are simple international agreements that have been allowed for years.

Eire gets the majority of its tax from Microsoft , Meta and Google IIRC - and mos other European countries don't get much is anything from them..............

The loop holes you suggest are simple international agreements that have been allowed for years.

Eire gets the majority of its tax from Microsoft , Meta and Google IIRC - and mos other European countries don't get much is anything from them..............

Agreements that allow companies to avoid paying UK tax rates. I looked into this a few years ago. It was simple as register my business in Amsterdam, attend 2 board meetings a year, and save myself £3k in tax a year, but any Tax paid would go the Dutch to pay for their health, roads, etc etc. So apart from the simple fact I want good services for us, I also reckoned I would spend most of the money on travel costs and having far too much fun.

Have a read, and that's just Amazon, what about all the other companies avoiding UK tax payments. Estimates for which vary from £30 odd billion, to £100 billion per year. The lower figure being from the treasury, no surprise there then.

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/ret...st-uk-economy-around-half-billion-pounds-2021

I had the EIRC come back as Unsatisfactory with C2/C3 defects and FI and need for a new consumer unit. The wiring system is estimated 35 years old, so happy to replace it all.

Does anyone know whether, if you use a registered Competent Person, you can do the work without getting Listed Building Consent?

I'd want sockets relocated and the over-the-ceiling wires that are currently hidden in plastic casement removed. i.e. it would be a fair amount of work but I'd rather not wait 2 months to get council permission. The flat is unoccupied so not an immediate health risk.

Latest posts