Re-wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that’s the most daft suggestion so far.

an EICR costing £250 could reveal you need a rewire costing £6 - £8k
I think I will get back into contracting, if that is the price of a rewire, the last one i did was about £800 (15 years or more ago), and I thought that was a lot then, (£400 for the parts and £100 a day for me)

I think I will get back into contracting, if that is the price of a rewire, the last one i did was about £800 (15 years or more ago), and I thought that was a lot then, (£400 for the parts and £100 a day for me)

I don’t do rewired any more but the going rate around here is about £75 per point

yes

4 days if occupied, maybe 3 if its a void

do you really get 1K a day doing rewires?
that's about £100 per hour
Depends how much of that is materials. I would imagine 2k for the labour

I Don't do any rewires these days , but if I did I wouldn't think 3.5 to 4.5 k is too bad a price these days depending on what your installing materials wise in the average 3 bed house .
Materials have gone through the roof so you end up spending a lot of time trying to find the best accessories at a good price for the customer which is time consuming.

Always good to build in a costing for all the new regs courses and registration fees for nap or nic ,insurances ,tool replacements and van maintenance and van buying costs .
250 ish seems to be the day rate around here on average ( South East) .
You didn't go through your years gaining experience and qualifications to work for the rate of a person doing a less qualified but just as needed job for nothing .

In my experience rewiring in a lived in house is a pita, Always get told everything will be moved and then spend 1.5 hours doing just that yourself . Totally empty properties I may still consider if desperate 😄

£250 a day is about what you need to be charging to earn a reasonable living.

Empty property rewire I've been doing this year, 3 bed with garage is working out at around £5k. I've got one room left to do, because the customer is doing lots of DIY to save noney. Single fella who is quit happy to 'rough it' , so house hadn't been empty all the time. The room left to do is being used as a temporary kitchen. We started upstairs to create a clean area to live in, before commencing the downstairs work. It's driving me slightly mad, as I just want to get it done, and retire fully.

I think anyone reading this thread, as a potential customer, needs to realise that the requirements of rewires vary A LOT.

So if its 3 sockets per room and a single pendent the price would be low, but if its 5 sockets per room, hard wired CAT5 and multiple downlights in every room plus garden electrics would be much higher.

Theres a new build near me where the electrics cost over £250K

I think anyone reading this thread, as a potential customer, needs to realise that the requirements of rewires vary A LOT.

So if its 3 sockets per room and a single pendent the price would be low, but if its 5 sockets per room, hard wired CAT5 and multiple downlights in every room plus garden electrics would be much higher.

Theres a new build near me where the electrics cost over £250K
This is the daftest post yet 😜

Latest posts