relocating a plastic 17th edition fuseboard

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean mac

Reaction score
if relocating do you need to replace with metal board or can you reuse the plastic board many thanks 

Ok so this topic has been discussed quite recently. (Hint for a search) 

some day that it is fine to move, some say that it’s not. What you have to consider is this, should there be a problem at some point in the future can you affford the time off to go and rectify if it is proven that you moved it without compliance? 

Personally for me if it’s a paying customer then it’s necessary to comply. Cost is involved that’s why they are a paying customer, if however it’s for a family member (unlikely to grass you up) then cost usually isn’t involved so provided you test everything and haven’t made it worse than before then you move it. 

This is only a personal opinion and you are responsible for your decision. 

Ok so this topic has been discussed quite recently. (Hint for a search) 

some day that it is fine to move, some say that it’s not. What you have to consider is this, should there be a problem at some point in the future can you affford the time off to go and rectify if it is proven that you moved it without compliance? 

Personally for me if it’s a paying customer then it’s necessary to comply. Cost is involved that’s why they are a paying customer, if however it’s for a family member (unlikely to grass you up) then cost usually isn’t involved so provided you test everything and haven’t made it worse than before then you move it. 

This is only a personal opinion and you are responsible for your decision. 
thanks mate so it does not comply

How far are you relocating? 

Some some countries still use plastic boards :innocent  

the actual spec is fire retardent, not metal. If it is  a decent make od board like Hager or MK, chances are it is fire-retardent. If it's cheapo board well, your guess is as good as mine.

As you are not replaceing the board, I would say it is compliant, however if you are adding circuits then these have to comply with todays regs, which may or may not mean a metal board depending on location.

the actual spec is fire retardent, not metal. If it is  a decent make od board like Hager or MK, chances are it is fire-retardent. If it's cheapo board well, your guess is as good as mine.

As you are not replaceing the board, I would say it is compliant, however if you are adding circuits then these have to comply with todays regs, which may or may not mean a metal board depending on location.
no circuits being added just a straight move i believe the plastic board is mk, i would be inclined to think it should be metal 

I believe there was research that showed that no existing cu complied with the fire resistant requirements, hence the swiftness to use metal boards. 

I could of course be wrong! 

look at airlines, theres an accident / something goes wrong. they look at why it went wrong and take necessary precautions to stop it happening again. what do we do? ignore the cause and stick it in a metal box instead

I still like the metal clad Wylex units from the late 70's and 80's

Made like a brick xxxx house, 2 screws on each of the incoming tails , they don't flex or bend when you tighten up the screws....

Can't recall ever seeing one of these up in smoke or similar!

Is there a requirement for a metal Cu in the first place? What is the location? Not all Cu's in domestic 'have' to be metal. Usually just if on exit route of under stairs.

On the other hand, I hate using second hand stuff and if I would be going to the hastle of taking the board off, moving and fitting, I would swap it out of due course.

no circuits being added just a straight move i believe the plastic board is mk, i would be inclined to think it should be metal 

The more important question is will all of your amended circuits have appropriate RCD protection? If the board is of a certain age the chances are your lighting circuits will now need RCD's. Re the question of swap to metal if everything was OK, consider when you fill out the electrical certificate for the work you will tick a box to say either: New work / Addition / Alteration.  In my opinion this would be an alteration.

When doing alterations there is no obligation to have to upgrade a fuse box at the same time, though you would ensure that any amended wires have appropriate RCD protection e.g. if you have buried some new cable runs. The principle is no different from moving a socket or moving a light fitting or even moving a fuse box. There is no obligation to have to upgrade the fuse box enclosure as you are not fitting a new fuse box. Otherwise every single job you do would involve upgrading CU's.  However as said earlier if you need to update the RCD protection, then a new metal CU is probably the best solution.

Doc H.   

Last edited by a moderator:
The more important question is will all of your amended circuits have appropriate RCD protection? If the board is of a certain age the chances are your lighting circuits will now need RCD's. Re the question of swap to metal if everything was OK, consider when you fill out the electrical certificate for the work you will tick a box to say either: New work / Addition / Alteration.  In my opinion this would be an alteration.

When doing alterations there is no obligation to have to upgrade a fuse box at the same time, though you would ensure that any amended wires have appropriate RCD protection e.g. if you have buried some new cable runs. The principle is no different from moving a socket or moving a light fitting or even moving a fuse box. There is no obligation to have to upgrade the fuse box enclosure as you are not fitting a new fuse box. Otherwise every single job you do would involve upgrading CU's.  However as said earlier if you need to update the RCD protection a new metal CU is probably the best solution.

Doc H.   
cheers guys the plastic fusebox already in place is a 17th edition mk  so everything is rcd protected