Remote Control Of Economy 7 Appliances

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBz

Reaction score
I would like to be able to switch the whole Economy 7 circuit at a property on & off remotely (e.g. over the internet).  Can I buy a remote controlled breaker which will do this?

One option, assuming none of the devices (a couple of storage heaters, immersion heater, towel rail) exceeds 3kw, would be to use a LightwaveRF WiFi link and a number of LightwaveRF inline relays.  This would give me individual control over devices although I don't really need that. 

Is there a better way?

Mike

a large contactor could be used to switch everything at the same time, however since your asking, your probably not competent enough to install one

Why would you need this when you might be able to

change the tariff to one that might suit your needs better?

The complexity of any one situation increases as the

square of the units involved.

The property is a first-floor flat which is used occasionally, maybe 2-3 days every couple of weeks.  It would be very useful to switch storage heaters and immersion heater timer on remotely the day before arrival, and switch them off after leaving if forgotten to do on the way out of the door.

I should have written "Are remote controlled contactors available" rather than "Can I buy a remote controlled breaker", I wouldn't be daft enough to undertake outside of my knowledge & comfort zone, but I would like to know if devices are available which would do what I want.

Mike; I assumed the flat was permanently occupied.

Yes, that does change things a great deal.