Replacement for lights "wiring hub"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkless

Reaction score
The photo shows the existing wiring connections within a square "wiring hub" for my house lighting. It looks like the installer didn't like using the loop-through system. Originally there were several more cables but I was able to move them to the separate circular junction box also show in the photo.
I want to improve this arrangement and I am considering using either...

a Wago box like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-l32...5-way-junction-box-set-115-x-155-x-35mm/621hv
(a bit small and few cable entries but Wago connectors)

or a Timeguard TRT049N wiring centre box https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTRT049N.html(more space & more cable entries but screw terminals)

I'd be glad to have any (helpful) observations or comments and any (sensible) suggestions for alternatives to the above.

I am not an electrician but I have 35 years experience as an electronics & electrical engineer (I.Eng., M.I.E.T.)

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
One of those cables may well be aluminium or copperclad aluminium. Can you show more of what is written on the top right looped cable, I can see 250v and CMA I think.

The timeguard product is normally used for central heating wiring and i think the wago box is similar
Thanks for your reply. Agreed, but the current load from lighting should not be excessive for these products.

Very common in the past. as long as it is accessible, no problem, Even just keep the original box if you still have the lid. That one could do with tidying up. Some you see are a real work of art and a pleasure to see, others are just a spiders web.

At least they are not screwits in there, with the earths twisted together outside the box (sometimes over the lid so you can't get the lid off)

The "fun" comes when you know there is another one like it for the downstairs, but nobody has the faintest idea which floorboard you need to lift to find it, probably the one under the new laminate flooring.

The o
Classic ' spider wiring ' set-up. I rather like that for certain jobs but use an adaptable box with wagos rather than a specific product.

Very common in the past. as long as it is accessible, no problem, Even just keep the original box if you still have the lid. That one could do with tidying up. Some you see are a real work of art and a pleasure to see, others are just a spiders web.

At least they are not screwits in there, with the earths twisted together outside the box (sometimes over the lid so you can't get the lid off)

The "fun" comes when you know there is another one like it for the downstairs, but nobody has the faintest idea which floorboard you need to lift to find it, probably the one under the new laminate flooring.
The original box is far too small, the cables & terminal strips are crushed in when the lid is screwed down.
There's no downstairs, it's a bungalow.

Classic ' spider wiring ' set-up. I rather like that for certain jobs but use an adaptable box with wagos rather than a specific product.
Can you suggest a suitable (large-ish) adaptable box please?

The timeguard product is normally used for central heating wiring and i think the wago box is similar
Thanks for your reply. Agreed, but the current load from lighting should not be excessive for these products.

Yes, I suspect that at least one is Al. I'll check tomorrow and respond. What is the significance of this?
Aluminium is much softer and fragile than copper. It is commonplace in the US but accessories are designed to accept them normally through a screw terminal head which doesn't impose undue stress. Aluminium conductors came into existence in the UK due to rising costs of copper however the terminal style terminals of our accessories do not suit aluminium hence my question.

The photo shows the existing wiring connections within a square "wiring hub" for my house lighting. It looks like the installer didn't like using the loop-through system. Originally there were several more cables but I was able to move them to the separate circular junction box also show in the photo.
I want to improve this arrangement and I am considering using either...

a Wago box like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-l32...5-way-junction-box-set-115-x-155-x-35mm/621hv(a bit small and few cable entries but Wago connectors)

or a Timeguard TRT049N wiring centre box https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTRT049N.html(more space & more cable entries but screw terminals)

I'd be glad to have any (helpful) observations or comments and any (sensible) suggestions for alternatives to the above.

I am not an electrician but I have 35 years experience as an electronics & electrical engineer (I.Eng., M.I.E.T.)

Thanks

Both of the boxes you mention are designed for central heating control wiring..
you will probably struggle to get all of the cables you have into one of them..
And you may not have sufficient connectors...

I would probably use one (or more) of the basic empty wago boxes..
and use whatever combinations of connectors are needed to cope with the number of supply loops, switch drops and light feeds.

e.g.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-32a-junction-box-grey/178ft

Wago make a Large (double) enclosure which would be more than adequate for this Wagobox XLA.

Attachments

• 6190AD7B-6946-4711-9302-EAD721B686DC.jpeg
    6190AD7B-6946-4711-9302-EAD721B686DC.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1
Both of the boxes you mention are designed for central heating control wiring..
you will probably struggle to get all of the cables you have into one of them..
And you may not have sufficient connectors...

I would probably use one (or more) of the basic empty wago boxes..
and use whatever combinations of connectors are needed to cope with the number of supply loops, switch drops and light feeds.

e.g.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-32a-junction-box-grey/178ft
Looks good, thanks

Latest posts