Respirators

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vladimir3000

Reaction score
Hi folks,

What respirator do you use?

Does P3 protection include asbestos?

Whats the safest/best/easiest to get spares for in your opinion?

Thanks

hi

i use the drager ffp3 dust masks but i'm thinking of investing in one of there full face respirators when going into lofts. if the house has artex i won't even touch it and tell the customer as most artex contain a % of white asbestos but all asbestos is bad. i've known people to die from the stuff years after retiring awful way.

does plaster on walls and plasterboard on old houses contain any of the stuff and lath and plaster? i've got some rewires coming up.

I use a P3 resp as it offers best protection from asbestos. Any house pre-1984 may contain asbestos in the artex but as the level is below 5% then it is considered safe and non licenseable. Same with certain old floor tiles. Funnily enough, am on another annual asbestos course tomorrow. My advice, be careful, know your stuff and you will be fine but don't go overboard as customers will scare easily when there is no need. BTW, I have lost close friends to it but this is from massive exposure to it when they used to throw asbestos snowballs at each other in the factories!

Mate of mine is a retired chippy & old navy dog, when told by the quack to pack up smoking he laughed & recounted how they used to spray asbestos lagging on all the pipe work in the navy tubs, the matlows then scraped it clean for inspections. Then as a chippy he used to cut it with a handsaw when used as boxing or on soffits.

Poor bloke knows hes on a time bomb.

Not sure what its called but I use the one with two round filters on the side and breathe out through a non-return flap in front. I use this in lofts with lagging, which I hate with a vengance. Also glasses don't steam up as with paper masks.

Replaced filters couple of weeks back, as I was struggling to get air through them, they were absolutley black with dust and fibreglass.

And I do very little house bashing TBH.

Latest posts