Reviews Of New All Metal Cu's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep up Binks.

You asked for a solution for an IP rated DB. Put that IP rated DB in a metal box.

I assumed by IP rated you meant GRP.

so where do we stand on IP rated CUs? I'm thinking garage units in damp places, can't imagine a metal CU lasting for years or being easy to seal.
I don't think they thought of that Binky , too busy conjouring up more stuff to justify another edition of the regs .

When they run out of things they'll change all the cable colours again !    

Keep up Binks.

You asked for a solution for an IP rated DB. Put that IP rated DB in a metal box.

Although the metal box would most likely be IP65 or better so the CU won't need to be anything more than a standard insulated unit, at which point I would say you might as well just stick a piece of DIN rail on the backplate of the box.

No, but they serve no purpose and are pointless. Feel free to downvote every post I make if it gets you off. I don't see why you not being able to understand a post makes it need downvoting.

No, but they serve no purpose and are pointless. Feel free to downvote every post I make if it gets you off. I don't see why you not being able to understand a post makes it need downvoting.
MCBs mounted on a din rail?.??? Please.

Keep up Binks.

you didn't say that did you Ernie and who can keep up with the fastest milkman in the west. :^O

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a garage unit considered domestic when the garage is remote to the house? If not then IP rated would be the order of the day as far as I'm concerned.

Is a garage unit considered domestic when the garage is remote to the house?
Yes, sort of.

Consumer units in outbuildings or on the outside of a building

Regulation 421.1.201 uses the term ‘premises’. The question could therefore arise: do the requirements of the regulation apply to a consumer unit or similar switchgear assembly within an outbuilding such as a garages or shed, or mounted on the outside or a building?

Some dictionary definitions of ‘premises’ are ‘a house or building, together with its land and outbuildings’ and ‘the land and buildings owned by someone’.

However, Regulation 421.1.201 was principally introduced to cover the interior of a household building and any garage or other outbuildings integral, attached, or in close proximity to that building.

Doubt could exist about whether or not a particular outbuilding could reasonably be considered to be in ‘close proximity’ to the household building. A way of resolving this might be to make a judgement of the likelihood that fire originating inside the enclosure of a consumer unit or similar switchgear in the outbuilding might lead to the outbreak of fire in the household building or in any outbuilding integral or attached to it. Relevant factors to consider about such an outbuilding might include whether or not that building or its expected contents are highly combustible.

Regulation 421.1.201 is not intended to apply to a consumer unit or similar switchgear assembly that is not within a building, such as a consumer unit mounted outdoors on the outside of a building.
Source: http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/55/consumer-units/index.cfm

If not then IP rated would be the order of the day as far as I'm concerned.
I see no reason why a garage CU would need to be an amendment 3 one anyway (well, I see no reason why any of them should be but we all know that). If a garage CU had to be non-combustible then under what criteria? Really under the same reasoning (if you could call it that) then all cookers/hobs/showers/immersion heater switches should be non-combustible.

In fact, the above article says use your judgement, I don't judge consumer units that I fit to be a fire hazard in the first place so I can continue fitting combustible consumer units.

Is a garage unit considered domestic when the garage is remote to the house? If not then IP rated would be the order of the day as far as I'm concerned.
No it isn't, if there is no risk of a fire spreading to the dwelling, then metal cu is not required.

If you disagree with that statement, take it up with:

IET

ELECSA

NICEIC

STROMA

NAPIT

BEAMA

They all agree on that statement, and, as there is no product standard for the product to comply with, then it is only the guidance issued by the trade bodies that can be followed.

The Wylex am 3 boards are pretty decent. Plenty of round knockouts top and bottom, 2 rectangle ones at the back. Can also get a surface mount pattress for them so you can trunk to the board and bring cables through the back. Which was great for us as we've just instsalled around 30 of them in the local authority sheltered accomodation which was obviously all trunked! I've attached a pic so you can have a look.
20150904_144600_zpszsvp2f27.jpg

OK, so it's been a while since I promised this but here you go...

It's the MK Sentry..

As you can see it has plenty of knockouts on the bottom which is mirrored on the top surface... There is only 1 knockout on each side and there are 4 round knockouts on the rear panel - I've linked 2 of them here and used my own grommet strip,, couldn't manage the supplied...

I don't know if they sell a standoff for these, however I have made my own with MT2SB as SBSdave showed in one of his threads..

Overall for £65 +VAT this is a very well priced, very well built and easy to work with consumer unit

BTW.... the tails are isolated ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice wall paper! You round Amelie's house again???!!! :lol:

Also have Installed an mmmkay garage unit for a shower, should that be a shower unit? Had to drill a 20mm hole in it as it was in a an awkward location. I don't remember there being too many knockouts but more than a wylex M/C. Not sure what the gromit strip is for? Is it intumescent? :lol: overall I thought It was a good little unit, nowt to complain about and It came with loads of stickers! :D

Used a small 4 way Hager at the weekend (customer purchase), well I supervised the installation.

1. Price for enclosure with main switch & 2 mcb's £42
  2. Plenty of room in the enclosure.
  3. Enclosure front cover fixing screws are captured so cant be dropped/lost.
  4. Knockouts pushed out easily & didn't have to be smashed out causing distortion to surrounding casing.
  5. Knock out hole edges clean no sharp edges.
  6. Grommet strip supplied got thrown & used my own deeper strip.

Latest posts