Rfc - Cable Clipped Direct To Outside Of Building

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedomrun

Reaction score
I've been asked to install a new RFC at a Ground Floor Flat. The Socket outlets for this circuit are going to be in a room at the rear of the property on the other side of the flat from the CU - the owner does not want me to install the cable through the Flat, but wants me to route the cable around the outside of the building ' Clipped Direct '. I have suggested conduit or trunking for the run, but the owner has asked for the cable to be clipped direct.

The cable height would be about 500 mm from the ground, maybe a bit more in a Horizontal run around the outside of the building. 30mA RCD protection is in use on all circuits.

I have pointed out that the cable will lack mechanical protection and exposure to UV - but i'm unable to find anything that states that this installation method would be outside the regs. It might look rough, but if the owner has asked for this - should  i proceed with the install in this way ??

The owner has lighting circuit T/E clipped direct for outside lighting already and wants to keep costs down, so conduit or SWA will increase the estimate. I'm unable to find anything under 'S&E' in the regs that states this is non compliant clipped direct + RCD will be incoporated.

I have pointed out that the cable will lack mechanical protection and exposure to UV - but i'm unable to find anything that states that this installation method would be outside the regs. It might look rough, but if the owner has asked for this - should  i proceed with the install in this way ??

So your regs book doesn't include external influences then??????

Oh the joys of short course training...

no wonder they are easy to pass...

looks like half the stuff is missed out and not tested in the exams!!

:shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:
Canoeboy said:
I corrected that just for you Sandra
Thanks ..one of the new terms that seemed to pass me by  TBH .   RFC   Eh!   = sockets.

Freeman  , I'd be doing that job in PVC conduit ,  you can feed 2.5 T/E through it  ,  back entry box where the sockets are going .  Why do you feel it needs to be an  RFC  ?  (Which means "Ring Main " apparently )     A  radial would do it   ...and you can still call it an RFC .   :innocent

You already indicated you are aware of the affects of sunlight on the cable.

Would polypropylene flex conduit ( coiled plastic round flex ) be a suitable choice - I may be able to get the owner to pay a little extra for this, otherwise he will get a 'general - do whatever for the cash' trade in to do the work. I want to get the job, but do it within the regs.

The circuit is going to have 6 double sockets and a switched FCU for a couple of wall lights. A convector heater isolated by a switched FCU at 13A max - The Ring Final CCT would be appropriate for the demand wired in 2.5 T/E ... as i already have a quantity of this Cable to hand.

Yes RCD already at the CU covering all CCT's and tested OK

sunlight..............in reality,  does it really affect the cable?   I have seen cable outside for years and it is still fine.  And tests fine too

Doubt if 6 plugs in a lounge would need a 32A  supply Freedom , I'd guess at 12A  tops without the info.  

Why opt for flexible conduit ?  You'd never make a decent job of that  , you need rigid conduit but remember its designed for X grade not Y grade.

Two T/Es would be tight in 20mm  ...have to be perfectly straight .

sunlight..............in reality,  does it really affect the cable?   I have seen cable outside for years and it is still fine.  And tests fine too
So have I ...but also seen the opposite with T/E exposed to strong direct sunlight , hardens up and starts to crack .

AFAIK there is no UV protection in the PVC  as there is in double glazed widows .  

but was that old cable anyway............apparantly the new pvc cables dont suffer from leeching like the old stuff.

Would polypropylene flex conduit ( coiled plastic round flex ) be a suitable choice - I may be able to get the owner to pay a little extra for this, otherwise he will get a 'general - do whatever for the cash' trade in to do the work. I want to get the job, but do it within the regs.
That would look horrible as it would droop in between the fixings. And I still maintain rigid PVC conduit is as cheap as it gets.

If he won't pay for that then walk, and let some other cowboy clip it direct to the outside. At least you will be able to sleep at night.

A ground floor flat to me says probably not the best part of town, and probably accessible to the local yoof (regardless of whether they should be there or not) so NOT the place to have an unprotected live cable.

clip 4mm swa to the wall to the first socket as a radial or even 2.5 with a 20A breaker

That was the "Green Goo"  stuff Nicola  ...different thing to UV 
but improved pvc non-the less..is the new and improved pvc cable ALSO not as susceptible to UV.

I dont know,  just think it is a possibility.......i have seen cable affected by UV it goes like chewing gum,  but it is always really old stuff. 

but improved pvc non-the less..is the new and improved pvc cable ALSO not as susceptible to UV.

I dont know,  just think it is a possibility.......i have seen cable affected by UV it goes like chewing gum,  but it is always really old stuff. 
No idea Nicola ...not heard of it TBH .  As far as I know its for indoor use . 

But it seems quite happy "out of direct sunlight " from what I can see .  But then I'm not a cable manufacturer.