ring final vs ring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deano93

Reaction score
im currently doing a electrician course and im at a stage where i am going through ring and ring final circuits, i get how both of these work but i cant seen to understand why choose one over the other ? what are the situations you would use each one ? thanks in advance

I'm afraid I'm "old school"  so as far as I know  its a ring main or it is'nt .

Are you getting mixed up with Rings & radials ?   

Have a look in your books ,  I'll be back later to mark your answers  ;)

I'm afraid I'm "old school"  so as far as I know  its a ring main or it is'nt .

Are you getting mixed up with Rings & radials ?   

Have a look in your books ,  I'll be back later to mark your answers  ;)

yea im getting confused just cant understand what one would choose .

ah ,ring or radial?

funnily, I just rewired a 1 bed flat today,

as I like to have 2 socket circuits, but couldnt justify 2 rings,

I put the bedroom (back to back with CU) on a radial, and living room and kitchen on a ring.

most economical use of cable too,

its the 2nd one ive done like this past 6 weeks.

It's either a ring or a radial, back in my day they were known as ring mains, then they became known as ring finals, and the term ring main is used on networks to describe a cable usually  11KV or above that feeds a number of transformers

A ring final, starts at the CU,feeds a number of points and returns to the CU like a loop, hence the term ring, a radial however starts at the CU and ends at the last point, it doesn't go back to the CU.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok then,

I used a ring main, ring final, whatever its called this week,

just couldnt be arsed typing an extra word on this crappy little keyboard tbh,
You are like me pal, it was a ring main when we were learning, and it'll be a ring main when we pop our clogs, at least to us it will.lol

thanks guys ,

my understanding is that a ring starts at CU and ends CU . radial ends at last outlet , and a ring final is from what i know its something to do with how its connected at the CU but i cant find out why. its something like it instead of going back to the same breaker they go to seperate ones so if the circuit was to break you effectively have two radial circuits - so am i confused ?

nd a ring final is from what i know its something to do with how its connected at the CU but i cant find out why. its something like it instead of going back to the same breaker they go to seperate ones so if the circuit was to break you effectively have two radial circuits - so am i confused ?
WRONG

a ring is a ring is a ring

There is NO difference

it is the same thing they just keep,changing the names

was RING main

NOW Ring Final,Cicuit

seems silly to keep changing the terms used , in my workbooks it makes out that they are two different types of circuits.

Latest posts