signing off work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galv

Reaction score
Hi all first time on here and wanted to just be sure now that I've got my cg2330 to level 3 and my 17 th that I can sign off my own work mainly domestic thanks all

Check that you may/may not need 2392 before you can self-certify.

You may be OK with just 2330 level 3 but as Andy said,

notification under Part 'P' to LABC has to be considered.

The membership of the competence scheme will ensure that they

do the leg work for you in this area.

You also need PL and PI insurance; that is a must.

Public Liability; Professional Indemnity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check that you may/may not need 2392 before you can self-certify.You may be OK with just 2330 level 3 but as Andy said,

notification under Part 'P' to LABC has to be considered.

The membership of the competence scheme will ensure that they

do the leg work for you in this area.

You also need PL and PI insurance; that is a must.

Public Liability; Professional Indemnity.
you do not need 2392 or 2391 to issue EIC's/MWC/PIR. you dont even need 2330. you only need to be competent

you will need PLI, but you may not need PII (unless your doing PIR's)

Hi all first time on here and wanted to just be sure now that I've got my cg2330 to level 3 and my 17 th that I can sign off my own work mainly domestic thanks all
Welcome to the forum Galv, Any competent person can and should be writing an appropriate certificate for all work they do, EIC or MWC. Do they not teach this on the City & Guilds any more? They used to have questions about the correct documentations and who signs what. If you are doing domestic work that requires a Building regs compliance certificate you will have to be a member of an approved body to notify your jobs through them, or you will have to apply to the LABC before you start the job & pay them a fee for a compliance certificate to be issued. Unnotified work can carry a

Thanks guys got insurance in place already and booked in to do cg2395 in jan which now replaces cg2391 but have a couple of customers asking if I can do jobs before then and wanted to make sure all would be ok

I am of the opinion that if it did come to a court of law,

your competence would be judged by your peers,

and NO amount of paperwork would be able to hide the incompetence of some idiots out there.

I am of the opinion that if it did come to a court of law,your competence would be judged by your peers,

and NO amount of paperwork would be able to hide the incompetence of some idiots out there.
Unfortunately, the Schemes seem to have managed this feat relatively well - but the cracks are beginning to show;)

Source: Hansard 23rd May, 2011 - Building Regulations

Question Asked by Baroness TongeAsked by Baroness Tonge

To ask Her Majesty's Government how many prosecutions have been made of qualified electricians who have issued certificates under Part P regulations, when they have not seen or supervised the work in question.

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department for Communities and Local Government, Baroness Hanham:

Any prosecution of a qualified electrician certifying electrical installation work under Part P of the Building Regulations which they had not seen or supervised would be a prosecution for fraud, not for a breach of the building regulations, and would need to be taken by a trading standards authority. The department does not collect information on this and is unaware of any such prosecutions.

1. So as we all know LABC do not want to get involved with Part P, they were not allowed at the start of Part P to charge more for the additional cost of Inspect and test, and also did not have the expertise. So instead of taking the same attitude as Structural and Gas etc, No certificate no sign off of the job, they started to sign work off to regularise it with a PIR for any excuse a builder etc can dream up.

As above if someone does sign off work, they did not do, supervise, or have seen, LABC are still not interest and want to pass it over to Trading Standards, who also will not bother because they do not have the expertise or funding.

2. This statement also seems to, highlight those companies that use the QS system, who do not supervise work but sign it off unseen, with a statement that this is Fraud. We all know of these practises, it is interesting that DCLG share that view.

Now your talking about a subject I can get my teeth into, part P sucks, it allowed those who should not be, allowed access to electrics.

Its a money making scheme, end of.

Latest posts