Small Van Recommendation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look... Why do people have to get shitty with each other?? I am sure they are all reasonable friendly folk in real life, so why get shitty on a forum?? I do not think singling out Essex all the time is helpful either, there are plently of people on here that can get a bit "sharp" shall we say and Essex has every right to reply in kind..

Having said that, the thing is, Apache and the others do not run this forum as a profit making concern, but they do not expect to sustain losses either. Now, the forum is kept alive by advertisers and sponsors; How do you think it looks to them if every time they open up the forum there are big "pub brawl" type arguments going on??

The forum needs to grow, so it needs to attract all kind of people, with all levels of abilty. This is why having a go at "DIY" types is SO wrong.. By all means point out to people if their plans are ill advised, but just being rude with the sort of "Only electricians should do such things" attitude is not on.. Apache himself is not an electrician, but does this mean that he should not be allowed to do work on his own property?? I FULLY AGREE that people that are not qualified should not be in business trading as electricians, but this is a different matter entirely..

john..

The best place to buy anything really was the "yellow free-ads", but, since they have ceased trading, i would not know where to look. Ebay seems to have taken over, but probably a lot of it is crap. There are good things on there, i have sold motorbikes on there in the past, but i have bought some not too clever things on there..... [some good things too though!!!!]

john..

Customs and excise auction is the place,

It might be in bits on the inside after they have been searching it before they seized it, but only a total Pratt smuggler would have something unreliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I can suggest, that if you know your way around a vehicle mechanically then take your time and scout around a few before deciding, alternatively arrange a friendly mechanic to do the scouting/sourcing for you, may cost a small fee but may save valuable pounds in the long run.

As with all things you can get anything for a price it's just the quality that you're looking for opposed to what you're looking at that makes the difference in the price you're willing to pay!

I have moved away from vans - generally overpriced and possibly abused. An MPV or estate gives a lot more options and with 5 door access I reckon you can get far more in them if you rack it out nicely. A good trustworthy independent local garage is a good start point. I had a brilliant VW Polo estate for 1000 which served me brilliantly for 3 years.

I have moved away from vans - generally overpriced and possibly abused. An MPV or estate gives a lot more options and with 5 door access I reckon you can get far more in them if you rack it out nicely. A good trustworthy independent local garage is a good start point. I had a brilliant VW Polo estate for 1000 which served me brilliantly for 3 years.
i know we are talking vets here but if a tradesman turns up in an estate vehicle I think it looks poor.

The last couple of times I have gone to do consultancy I have hired in a car, rather than take the van, as it is more cost effective, and, gives the right image.

For I&T I see no issue with a car.

When I worked for the control systems company we all used cars.

For a lot of the work I do locally a car would be totally unsuitable.

I couldn't stand at the workbench in the back to do repairs to start with!

I agree with Essex, that for an "ordinary" electrician [not your consultancy or I&T perhaps, as Sidewinder has said] an estate car would look poor..

Vets are entirely different.. Their main concern is to be able to see and find what they are looking for, so lots of light needed. If they need to collect a sheep, they would buy a cheap van!!!!

john....

Yes, but with a van I can claim the VAT back. It's much easier to own and run through the company. Can have it sign-written for advertising purposes.

As it will be carrying vats of liquid nitrogen at times it must have a solid bulkhead.