SMETS help needed please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, today they have admitted overcharging me and that there is an issue, they just don't know if they can fix it.
Point out to them that smart meters record the power used in every half hour slot (that is after all the main purpose of them) So they can look back at the records and see how much has been used whenever the E10 periods are, and adjust the billing to that is charged at the off peak rate.

It is not rocket science, but dealing with some suppliers you would think it was.

^^ I quite agree.

Been looking at my MILs Eon Plus account over the weekend. There are 2 statements this year, both about 6 weeks long but there are huge gaps. Latest bill June. Since then they have just applied chargers for both gas and electric but no actual readings given - and she has SMs - this is beyond a joke

so EON Plus have confirmed that they aren’t getting the data from the smart meters and hence why no detailed bills

their suggestion is to manually read the meters each month then she will get an accurate bill monthly

so yet more confirmation that Smart Meters are useless and a waste of money

so EON Plus have confirmed that they aren’t getting the data from the smart meters and hence why no detailed bills

their suggestion is to manually read the meters each month then she will get an accurate bill monthly

so yet more confirmation that Smart Meters are useless and a waste of money
mobile signal issues. Similar to the parking meter they installed in a forest car park in the middle of Dartmoor, an area where I can't get a phone signal - it couldn't connect via the mobile network so couldn't take payments, so parking remians free! :ROFLMAO:

mobile signal issues. Similar to the parking meter they installed in a forest car park in the middle of Dartmoor, an area where I can't get a phone signal - it couldn't connect via the mobile network so couldn't take payments, so parking remians free! :ROFLMAO:
Until someone comes and collects the SD card from the ANPR camera and then all the parking charge notices go out. Then you have to fight and prove the machine could not take payment. A lot will just pay up.

Until someone comes and collects the SD card from the ANPR camera and then all the parking charge notices go out. Then you have to fight and prove the machine could not take payment. A lot will just pay up.
No ANPR camera, it's a Forestry England car park, and I'm not sure they even bother to check tickets when the machine is working.

Some energy suppliers have been swapping out E10 meters replacing with E7 stating E10 is not an option/available anymore. A relative was given a one off payment of £80 a number of years ago after her bills went up after smart meter install. They did not tell her it was now an E7 only tarrif. :mad:

Ovo energy have decided to adjust my bills with a 70% off peak, 30% peak split. The meter is on economy10 while they can only bill me economy 7. This will continue until they find a workaround.

Point out to them that smart meters record the power used in every half hour slot (that is after all the main purpose of them) So they can look back at the records and see how much has been used whenever the E10 periods are, and adjust the billing to that is charged at the off peak rate.

It is not rocket science, but dealing with some suppliers you would think it was.
They do not have a system to do this apparently, although the user can see the half hour reports, Ovo energy can't. Nuts 🤔

Was cold-called by EDF to install a Smart Meter "as we're in the area".
After 30 minutes of filling in the details he read it back:
".........and Economy 7"
"No, Economy 10"
Short pause and a sigh.
"Next time we call, please advise you have E10, as Smart Meters don't yet do E10"

Sounds like a narrow escape to me. You're lucky they didn't just go ahead and leave you to sort out the ensuing problems.
Make sure you actually want a SM if you do get a future offer; there is precious little advantage to you.

Latest posts