Solar v nuclear in France

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wind works 24/7, and they still have a lot of nuclear. France went nuclear big time after WW2, but recent weather events have caused problems, namely droughts meaning insufficient water to cool the nuclear plants.
China has just opened the 1st Thorium nuclear reactor power plant in the Gobi desert. It is safer in the remote desert also needing no water to cool.

Last edited:
Damming the Severn estuary for hydro was mooted not so long ago. That would have been a phenomenal civils project.
just so ruddy expensive to do

Considering that we have, on our doorstep, one of the greatest tidal range variations in the world... (Severn Estuary)... I think somewhere in Brazil has a bit bigger tidal range?..

Why can't that natural energy be captured.. Stored.. transmitted.. etc.. etc..
for the benefit of greener.. net-zero... carbon efficient fuel generation???

Considering that we have, on our doorstep, one of the greatest tidal range variations in the world... (Severn Estuary)... I think somewhere in Brazil has a bit bigger tidal range?..

Bay of Mundy in Canada is the highest tidal range.
Damming the Severn or the Mersey for electricity is economically a no goer as wind and solar has come to the fore.

Cheaper ways of harnessing the tide.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-57991351

Sheer cost, but also environmental impact on birds that feed on the mudflats. It's cheaper to build wind turbines and a lot easier. I know several smaller schemes were mooted some years ago, but can't remember why they didn't go ahead

China has just opened the 1st Thorium nuclear reactor power plant in the Gobi desert. It is safer in the remote desert also needing no water to cool.
Thorium is interesting technology, but apparently hard to make work, so it will be interesting to see how they get on with that plant. I'll have to do some googling 😀

Thorium is interesting technology, but apparently hard to make work, so it will be interesting to see how they get on with that plant. I'll have to do some googling 😀
Thorium is working.....

Japanese are making hydrogen using high temps from a nuclear reactor. They are going hydrogen as only hydrogen can replace fossil fuels in industry. We may see large vehicles like ships and trains running on hydrogen. A hydrogen train is running in Germany, one was to be trialed between Liverpool and Chester but Covid got in the way. Also hydrogen can be produced on site by wind electricity, like at a train depot. So no transport costs and road transport dangers eliminated.

Natural gas can be a mix of 20% hydrogen without changing or adapting appliances. This reduces emissions, especially in towns & cities. Natural gas is the cleanest of fossil fuels and can be made 20% cleaner. In summer, when it matters most for air quality, little of it is used - only used in towns and cities heating predominantly DHW and that is reduced as water's temperature is raised in water mains and water storage tanks.

Last edited:
Soooo, what happens after 10pm?
Wind and solar with grid battery storage is all we need. And hydrogen for industry created from nuclear plants and wind when too much energy is being generated.

Last edited:
Go to Tony Seba's channel. He is a futurist. He takes past and current data projecting it into the future using graphs, etc. In 2012 he predicted the EV car and solar & wind revolution - everyone laughed at him. Boy he was right. His presentation on food and agriculture is truly eye opening.

His channel....
https://www.youtube.com/@tonyseba

One of his presentations....

Japanese are making hydrogen using high temps from a nuclear reactor. They are going hydrogen as only hydrogen can replace fossil fuels in industry. We may see large vehicles like ships and trains running on hydrogen. A hydrogen train is running in Germany, one was to be trialed between Liverpool and Chester but Covid got in the way. Also hydrogen can be produced on site by wind electricity, like at a train depot. So no transport costs and road transport dangers eliminated.

Natural gas can be a mix of 20% hydrogen without changing or adapting appliances. This reduces emissions, especially in towns & cities. Natural gas is the cleanest of fossil fuels and can be made 20% cleaner. In summer, when it matters most for air quality, little of it is used - only used in towns and cities heating predominantly DHW and that is reduced as water's temperature is raised in water mains and water storage tanks.

Japan has very much decide Hydrogen is the future. The downside of hydrogen is producing it takes 7 more times energy than you can get back from it, if anyone can crack that issue, then I think it's better than batteries.

Japan has very much decide Hydrogen is the future. The downside of hydrogen is producing it takes 7 more times energy than you can get back from it, if anyone can crack that issue, then I think it's better than batteries.
Look at the Utube link I gave about how hydrogen is made. It is actually happening right now. And cheaply.