Some pics from that hotel PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As promised; here are a few of the photos from a hotel "up north".....

Main incomer:

mainincomer.jpg

MET (note the quality of labelling):

MET.jpg

Unusual way of terminating a SWA:

kitchenDBarmour.jpg

11KV transformer adjacent to incomer panel:

11kvsupply.jpg

"Ottermill" TPN DB (I haven`t removed any covers, just opened the doors):

4thk2open.jpg

MCCB board with cable size issues:

4thplantMCCB.jpg

So.....why is there a problem????

signMCCB.jpg

KME

Currently? I have about 270 items on the fault list.....

e.g. when the accomodation floors were redone, they dropped a TPN board in the riser, off the 400A busbars (single phase, barred out). Then used BS88 40A fuses, and 6mm SWA to sub-boards in the local risers, feeding 1 or 2 rooms with light / power.

This was the way the local boards had been installed on one whole floor (20 boards affected):

12thlocalDBa.jpg

The main DB to the floor:

DB12-1.jpg

Connection of a wall light to 1 of the rooms:

14thwalllight.jpg

KME

AFAIAA - there aren`t any.

Mind, it HAS given rise to a serious issue in the PFC department - I didn`t bother testing the mains for PFC; as the top of one of the TPN busbars, 13 floors above here, had a phase to phase READING of >50KA; so I`ve prospectively got about 100KA of fault current up there. I haven`t yet considered the options to lower the value; if there are any. None of the devices, AFAICT, are capable of withstanding that.

KME

So.....why is there a problem????

is it cos the lives and neutrals go through separate holes causing eddy currents? ;)

I hope you get any remedial work KME should guarantee you either a holiday this year or maybe a a villa ROTFWLROTFWL

Excellant pictures couple of questions (as I dont fully understand it please forgive my ignorance) on the eddy current picture is there an extra neutral in the block ? and on the cable size issues picture the 2 cables entering on the right are they SWA's ? look like it by shrouds but i see black coverings below.

Ignorance is only a lack of knowledge. Knowledge is gained by asking questions, and receiving answers. Nothing to forgive, mate.

Yes, there is an extra Neutral in. It appears someone added, then removed, an MCCB from 2L2; but didn`t bother removing the neutral (we weren`t given any "tracing" time on the PIR - report on as found.

On the "cable size issue pics" - I can`t see any cables entering from the right. If you mean the top right hand two; they`re 95mm and 70mm XLPE/SWA 4 core; both on 200A MCCBs

Or did you mean summat else mate?

Yes, there is an extra Neutral in. It appears someone added, then removed, an MCCB from 2L2; but didn`t bother removing the neutral (we weren`t given any "tracing" time on the PIR - report on as found.

On the "cable size issue pics" - I can`t see any cables entering from the right. If you mean the top right hand two; they`re 95mm and 70mm XLPE/SWA 4 core; both on 200A MCCBs

Or did you mean summat else mate?
Yes mate sorry I ment top right ones they look like SWA but if so surely you shouldnt see the black insulation on the inside of the box ?

Nice pics KME...I especially like that Ottermill
S`funny mate - I really; REALLY didn`t!!!!!

(quite a few of those; "supposed" to be redundant post-refit - NOT!)

Also; found out on the last day - if you go out on the roof, and look left behind two of the aircon fans; there`s a 2`6" X 3` metal vent cover on the wall. IF you remove this vent cover, put a torch in your gob and crawl into this hole approx 5` - they`re TWO dist boards.

They don`t appear on MY schedules; and I wouldn`t test in there anyway - H&S risks. SO we ignored that; and I`ll make a note on the paperwork.

I`ll post piccies of one of the risers later - opened the door, took one look and closed the door again - totally unsafe.

N.B. I don`t WANT the remedials android. The hotel has asked if we`ll "re-inspect" after they`ve been done - I have no issue with that. But carring out some of the remedials? A 25mm SWA installed on a circuit, for which the spec. on the EIC is 120mm, for instance?

There`s already been a fire caused by this works - I don`t want any of that with my signature near it.......

KME

Yes mate sorry I ment top right ones they look like SWA but if so surely you shouldnt see the black insulation on the inside of the box ?
AH. I`m with you. No reason why not - it gives the cores a little extra protection.

However, the SWA`s that are "roughly" terminated, behind that "close-up" shot of the edge of an MCB??? That is deffo not good. X(

Just spotted on the wall light picture the extra neutral in there as well ?
AH - the wall lights have 2X 4 pin low energy lamps. The phase daisy-chains through the ballasts, the neutrals are taken seperately. Just the design on the lights used.......

holy cringe batman

those swa's shocking

those lugs shocking

is that 3 single poles feeding something 3ph! ?

red,yellow,black with blue tape shocking

harmonic effects fire risk shocking

gold mine ;)