SON lighting question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedepth

Reaction score
Evening all,

I have no experience of these lights but an existing customer asked me to have a look when there for other work.

2 in number light fittings with these lamps.IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpgOne of the fittings takes 2 hours to light when switched on, the other is a few minutes to full brilliance.

He has previously changed the lamp but to no avail.

This is the gear tray in the rear of the fitting.

IMG_0226.jpg

Would changing this be worth a go?

Pure assumption would be that this gear tray is what ignites the lamp and there is a defect in it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Maybe just the igniter needs changing or the lamp needs to be internal igniter? Good luck

No thats the ballast,, if you have a look at the diagram then the ballast is the box on the right hand side, the ignitor is not in the picture
Thanks again Noz.

I did notice something behind the ballast (now I know it's name) inside the fitting. Should I ask my wholesaler for an ignitor suitable for the ballast or for the lamp. I have the details of it as I noted them down when there.

I think I need to find a suitable source of information on these things. It is not something I have had to deal with before, most of my customers do without high and low bay lighting preferring to have a rose of some sort!

Did he put the correct lamp in, you can get internal & external ignitors.
I have not checked to confirm but if my memory serves he changed the lamp due to the start up time. Nothing has changed with the new lamp. I will confirm first.

I admit I have done nothing on this today. I came to London to see my my mum and popped into Elex at Sandown for details on home automation. Tomorrow I'm meeting old mates to watch Sngland suffer at the hands of the Spanish before returning home. And all whilst also remembering those who have sacrificed most for us.

If I'm seeing it correctly, in the second picture you can see that it's an external ignitor version.

I did hear somewhere that if you use internal ignitor lamps with an external ignitor, that it'll just burn out the internal ignitor and work as an external one.... Could someone either confirm or correct this

If I'm seeing it correctly, in the second picture you can see that it's an external ignitor version.I did hear somewhere that if you use internal ignitor lamps with an external ignitor, that it'll just burn out the internal ignitor and work as an external one.... Could someone either confirm or correct this
something like that, but it also damage the ignitor, and the lamp has a shorter life

Latest posts