sparks mate or improver?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Evans we were usually doing 5 a week, that's if there was no hick ups with materials or getting the keys or the lay out drawings. We was doing them to a good standard also and there was two socket outlets in each room, kitchens had more depending on size. I'm glad I'm not doing them anymore that's for sure
The names Deke by the way ;)

2 sockets per room? so within 5 miniutes there will be stupid extension leads run all over the place just waiting to catch fire.

Well when my house was done some 30 years ago it was done in a day. Extra sockets where done in mini trunking, all accessories surface boxes, existing conduits used, 6 Way wylex standard board with fuses. My only memory was after a couple of days the lights started flickering. This was down to whoever connected tails into meter they didn't tighten a screw. I think in those days leccie board where involved so probably down to them. Don't think much testing was done as there was no sticker on fuse box but sure some testing must have been done or maybe not.

I done a one bed flat a couple of weeks ago, 3&1/2 days on my own,

on a 3 bed house now, will have it done in 4days, its a pain on your own though up and down the stairs all the time doing the DS sockets!!!

oh, they are empty BTW, I HATE rewires on occupied, in fact I wont do them unless its crazy good money, just not worth the hassle.

We currently doing a council contract 1 a day it's hard work normally using existing conduits and boxes it can be done and it can be neat too

It's empty domestic properties. 1 is fully qualified spark the other my self is part qualified and the other is a sparks mate or labourer. It's all surface mounted so no chasing in at all. But I do agree with a lot of you it def seems to me quantity over rules quality these days as its more about money. If I was fully qualified I would not put my name to it as you all know, if people seen that workman ship they not going to pass you on as someone good within the industry. I start tomorrow so will let you all know

Well I did it lol. Got there to my surprise was rewiring a council property with people still living in it. Got nervous but decided to chuck my self in the deep end and I loved it. Was just nice to be back in work, even if it's a 1 day a week basis at the moment. Funny though another guy turned up was just looking for work experience. He did a 3 week crash course in electrics and had 17th edition the part p and something else as well, he left within half an hour. He was terrified well that was the look on his face any ways.

It was not a exactly a full rewires there is another team that does the kitchen and the earthing i. e equipotential and supplementary bonding was never touched just sockets lights and smokes, an outside sensor light and fan and bathroom light and fused spur to the boiler too was installed. Some were fished in and some were mounted via PVC trunking. Ai did all first and second fix down stairs and outside sensor light and kitchen fluorescent 2 way lighting for living room and stairs and I wired in the a fused spur for the boiler and 1or 2 sockets upstairs also. The last time I did any of this as a sparks mate was in 2003 and I only had 3 months of experience. So I was just chuffed to be doing it again actually putting all my theory based learning into practise.

good on you mate, get in there and give it a go, at least you have got a bit of something to be going along with,

anything is better than nowt, as some weirdo people would say oop here in these parts.

Well I did it lol. Got there to my surprise was rewiring a council property with people still living in it. Got nervous but decided to chuck my self in the deep end and I loved it. Was just nice to be back in work, even if it's a 1 day a week basis at the moment. Funny though another guy turned up was just looking for work experience. He did a 3 week crash course in electrics and had 17th edition the part p and something else as well, he left within half an hour. He was terrified well that was the look on his face any ways.
How strange !!

I know the problem,

he couldnt pat test his patting stuff while you were using the patting tester to do other stuff, cos that prob the other exam he had and when he heard you needed a tester he thought he would come and be patting you up, and testing your patting, and patting your testers too,

maybe even doing a PA test, only not for sound, for a PAT tester to do,

cos doing a PAT course allows you to PAT test, as well as portable appliance test testing,

does it qualify you to fill in stickers too? :C