Spot lights turn on dim in bathroom and fan comes on when fan isolator is switched on but light switch is off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that persists ask another spark to investigate. It shouldn't take long. Pay him (assuming it then works!) then send the bill to No 1.

Trading Standards is another good way to make a nuisance of yourself.

Find him on social media and politely state that he doesn’t return calls nor address issues
He was an old boy so csnt find him on any social media, just had my mate come and look at it and the black is in the switch which would do the fan and he seems to think there is nothing wrong with the connections so I'm stumped lol

Which then makes me think is it something to do with the wattage of the spot lights?

Then on the fan connection it is brown as permanent live, blue as neutral and black as switch

Attachments

• 16630033056351044605087696172580.jpg
    16630033056351044605087696172580.jpg
    1.4 MB
Did your friend check that live and switched live are not reversed? - In fact that all three fan connections are correct?
If you are absolutely confident that the wiring is correct, then I revert to my first guess that inductive coupling is upsetting the fan and making the lights glow.
Presumably you have GU10 led spots?
Here's a simple test you could do without interfering with any wiring:
Temporarily change one led lamp for a halogen lamp. If everything then works as expected that would prove my induced voltage theory correct. (In that sense your electrician would be right in blaming the wattage of the lamps). We are then back to needing a snubber.
On the other hand if the fan still runs uncontrolled then either the fan itself or its wiring are wrong.

Did your friend check that live and switched live are not reversed? - In fact that all three fan connections are correct?
If you are absolutely confident that the wiring is correct, then I revert to my first guess that inductive coupling is upsetting the fan and making the lights glow.
Presumably you have GU10 led spots?
Here's a simple test you could do without interfering with any wiring:
Temporarily change one led lamp for a halogen lamp. If everything then works as expected that would prove my induced voltage theory correct. (In that sense your electrician would be right in blaming the wattage of the lamps). We are then back to needing a snubber.
On the other hand if the fan still runs uncontrolled then either the fan itself or its wiring are wrong.
They are led saxby spot lights and they are an all in one built unit so not lamp change

What 4 new ones? Won't I still have the same problem?

No. Those are are sealed units. So when one goes wrong you have to take it out of the ceiling and fit a new light.

Most sealed units are not as reliable as the manufacturers make out.

I always fit down lights with customer changeable bulbs

Back to your issue, best you find a local spark to help you

Where are you based?

I think the quality/reliabilty of the light fittings is the least of the originator's worries at the moment. It looks to me that he has been taken for a ride with a lash up installation.
Concur, however having offered advice I can only follow up on the next concern as without further information it is nigh impossible from here to ascertain if connections are in fact correct!

Concur, however having offered advice I can only follow up on the next concern as without further information it is nigh impossible from here to ascertain if connections are in fact correct!
The connections are as shown above at rhe light fitting, the light switch has one cable with brown In common and blue as l1, the fan isolator has brown In l1, black in l2 and the grey as neutral, then at the fan it is brown and permanent live, grey as neutral and black as switch