Storage heater Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callum84

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a question regarding storage heating I hope someone can help me with.

I am currently looking at a house with a view to purchase which is a 3 bedroom semi detached property which currently uses electric off-peak storage heaters and

convector radiators.Hot water is heated by an electric immersion

heater. The yearly cost to run these stated by the current owner is

If the house is all electric, you COULD stay with the current

arrangements.

Have a look and see about a grant to cavity wall and loft insulate

to 10" depth IF it has not already been done.

Another thing you could consider is dry lining the inside of the

house, and the favourites are the walls without any sun. North

facing etc.

A lot of the posters here would tell you that the night storage

option is reliable and rarely breaks down. Unlike a lot of wall

mounted gas fired heating boilers.

These are possibly not the solutions you may have expected,

but with any property purchase you may need to think outside

the box.

What's the age of the property?

In a modern well insulated house, storage heaters are not to bad.

But I previously experienced them in a 1930's solid 9" brick wall built house with obviously no insulation, and they were useless, not enough heat for the evenings.

The property is approx 15 years old, the ceiling is insulated as are the walls etc, I was just unsure if the running costs mentioned in my first post were excessive or the norm with this type of heating. The heaters although described as storage heaters are of the dimplex type wall mounted. I have heard they are quite expensive to run, ie that's why looking into it and for some advice.

Thanks

Callum

I would think it will cost quite a few thousand to have CH fitted so what you have to look at is how long it will take to get that money back.

The property is approx 15 years old, the ceiling is insulated as are the walls etc, I was just unsure if the running costs mentioned in my first post were excessive or the norm with this type of heating. The heaters although described as storage heaters are of the dimplex type wall mounted. I have heard they are quite expensive to run, ie that's why looking into it and for some advice. Thanks

Callum
I would be delighted if I could heat our home for that little (but then this is a 5 bed detached)

Often people say something like "gosh electricity has gone up a lot, I'd better switch to something else" but they forget everything else has gone up as well.

Oil, that I use to heat out house has almost doubled in the 9 years we have been here, so too probably has gas.

If you are really looking for something cheaper, think outside the box. Think ground source or air source heat pumps, think solar water heating, think solar PV panels to generate your electricity, think wood burning stove and back boiler if you have a source of wood and the time to chop it and prepare it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the house is 15 years old it may have cavity wall insulation

from construction date.

IIRC CWI was addressed in building regs from 1984 onwards.

Someone may correct me.

Yes, as Apache says, the test on rented prop is 5 years, not

annually as in gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated!

After a viewing tonight, the owner said that the last quarter bill was