Storage heaters and PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazooboo

Reaction score
Folks any ideas about this

When I do a PIR I make it clear the scope is the fixed wiring. I don't include Storage heaters and cooker. However I've been asked by a client what they need to do at a rental property. I'm happy to do the fixed wiring but Storage Heaters aren't exactly portable appliances. Any idea where such equipment falls and if they need to be checked the same as portable equipment..... As far as I know. I don't do PAT as I don't have the kit.

Storage heaters will fall into the category of fixed load items, and are included in the normal scope of a PIR, as is the cooker. They are not portable, yet I often see them tested as such.

It's a grey area. Many companies regard machine tools as "portable" and cover them in PAT testing.

But you DO have the equipment, all you have to do is a visual inspection (e.g the flex) earth continuity, and insulation resistance.

So just test those as part of your PIR. Include the cooker if asked.

It's a grey area. Many companies regard machine tools as "portable" and cover them in PAT testing.But you DO have the equipment, all you have to do is a visual inspection (e.g the flex) earth continuity, and insulation resistance.

So just test those as part of your PIR. Include the cooker if asked.
yep thats what i do if asked.

Thanks Manator, Not clear though if I need to test the Storage heaters, I do the usual check for ware and tear, type damage, but I don't test in the same way you would do a PAT test with a tester. The storage heaters have a sticker saying when they were last tested according to the landlord. Any idea what this testing would involve, is this something I should include in scope of future PIRS? Cheers

I attended a health centre recently in the scope of my duties, on site was a PAT tester, when he saw my ID he was very embarrassed, and left the site never to be seen again, He had tested part of the fixed wiring, apparently because it brought increased revenue, I suppose.

The fixed wiring is tested, and that is the extent of your duties, if the client wants any fixed loads testing, this must be agreed beforehand, the tests are the same for anything, just as prodave suggests, you have the tools and the knowledge to perform these tests.

When I looked at this thought how could a pir be used for storage heaters you would have to stay up all night jumping in front of them to get the charge up not very practical.