testing to see if upstairs is leeching off my meter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's news is that we are having a safety inspection of the electrics in both flats next Wednesday. Roll on, eh :)

I'm not sure what it will involve or what it will reveal though. I think it should be made certain that the lighting circuits can't be made to handle more current than they ought to for lighting. I can point at the now dead socket halfway up the wall and explain that it used to run off the lighting so one of the fuses should be set to carry far more current than it would need to for just lighting. Investigating that might get us somewhere.

BB

Well, we had the safety inspection done, and apart from the place needing some obvious fixing up here and there, no actual wiring crossovers between upstairs and downstairs was found. William upstairs (who now has the address of this forum, by the way, I invited him to contribute) tells me he's putting the heating upstairs on tonight, just for test purposes, so we'll see what we can see in the morning.

The guy who did the safety check tells me that both the lighting circuit fuses here had appropriate fuse wire in them, and that they couldn't have been carrying the kind of current needed for the storage heaters (that's how I understood it, anyway). It doesn't look like that was the problem then. Dammit, it was something, though. Something happened here and I still don't know what :-( .

BB

There's nothing happened on the meter today to suggest there was any extra used last night. Mind, I haven't seen Billy yet today to confirm that he remembered to actually switch the heating on, and even if he says he did it's hardly proof that he actually did, or that it used any appreciable juice. I think realistically we'll have to keep this particular ball up in the air till next winter comes and see what's happening then. Any ideas, anyone?

BB