Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe this should I test or should I not test debate even began. for all the time it takes to check the earth, polarity and rcd I do it. then I can walk away safe in the knowledge that it is safe. I don't care if the brb or part p say you don't have to. sometimes common sense must come into play.

Anyone what to say where brb says no testing required?

Sounds good hawk.

Maybe someone can point out the reg that states that testing IS required for swapping a switch or socket?

Maybe someone can point out the reg that states that testing IS required for swapping a switch or socket?
The forum would never condone undertaking any remedial works without carrying out basic safety tests before bringing a circuit back into operation. I think Hawks posts summaries it very well.

Doc H

The forum would never condone undertaking any remedial works without carrying out basic safety tests before bringing a circuit back into operation. I think Hawks posts summaries it very well.Doc H
You are missing the point.

Its not remedial works. Its swapping a switch or socket.

You are missing the point.Its not remedial works. Its swapping a switch or socket.
I can assure you I am not the one who is missing the point. Nor am I being deliberately argumentative over a topic that all of the experienced electricians and knowledgeable DIY persons on the forum recognise as basic common sense. Namely all works, major, minor, remedial require some form of testing to confirm safety of the alterations. To spell it out for you:

Remedial works; to remedy some undesirable situation. A socket front cracked and broken is an undesirable and hazardous situation. To remedy it a new single pole switched socket front may be fitted. It is possible to accidentally reverse live and neutral and not tighten the earth connection correctly. Plugging a metal cased appliance back in would work, but have no earth and have permanent 230v along the neutral wire even when switched off at the socket.

Suggesting that testing is not required, because you cannot find a specific black and white instruction, shows a lack of understanding for electrical safety and BS7671 wiring regulations. On a public forum that both professional electricians and competent DIY persons come for advice we would be foolhardy to recommend to anyone not to test their work, irrespective of the need for certificate or part-p notification.

Doc H.

As I have mentioned before, I do have issues with bad and/or potentially dangeros advice being given on a public forum that could easly be followed by someone who is not experienced to know better with potentially fatal conciquences.

Page 336 Appendix 6..

Minor Works certificate

Notes:

The last three lines of first paragraph and I quote:-

This certificate may also be used for the replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaries but not for the replacement of distribution boards or similar items. Appropriate inspection and testing however should always be carried out irrespective of the extent of the work undertaken.
I think we can all agree that accessories can be switches and or sockets?

Yes? :|

and Replacement is NOT adding additional items..

just replacing (AKA swapping) a switch or socket?

Yes?

are you still with us? :innocent ;)

So IMHO BS7671 suggests that testing should ALWAYS be carried out! :|

"irrespective of the extent of the work undertaken"

SIMPLES! :)

But that is only written in the regs book..

Its NOT actually a regulation..

and its only an Appendix note...

and the regs are only guidance for good practice..

So perhaps after all I am just a complete and utter plonker and it doesn't say you should test any changes after all...... :_| :_|

I had better go and sit in the corner and listen to the wise words of what "Mr Forthemoney" says....

Maybe even Ianmacd will have to come and sit in the naughty corner as well..?

cuz it looks like he is also of the confused state of mind like me, thinking that testing was important....

Gosh aren't we a couple of foolish electricians!! :Blushing :eek: :p:C

The date when any infractions issued will expire can be seen in a members personal profile. I think this thread has now run its useful course.

Doc H.

The date when any infractions issued will expire can be seen in a members personal profile. I think this thread has now run its useful course.Doc H.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.