Thanks To A Couple Of Members.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't do much on connecting motors in fact the last time I fitted a star delta starter was about 12 years ago. I was replacing the one I fitted about 12 years ago as it had packed in. Last one was an MTE and was already to go with terminals all marked and a space to put your cables. The one I replaced it with was an Imo and you had to buy a separate overload. So I fitted the overload but it wasn't to clear where you put your star and delta connections. In fact the paperwork you got with it was not to helpful. I rang there help line and the guy after a bit of toing and froing and throwing told me where to put the cables. Now there were a couple of flying leads which he said where for external controls so they could be taken out. Luckily I didn't do this because the motor would not cut in. I rang KME who told me where he thought these cables should go but he did say check with Canoeboy as he does more commercial. Canoe said he would need the wiring diagram to be sure.  In the mean time I found the tech lines support number so gave them a call. Luckily this time I got a guy that seemed a bit more informed. So I connected it up and it started up. I did have to adjust the stop switch quite a bit to get that to work but its back running again. A big thanks to the members for there help. 

There are some very informed members here, and given the chance they can really help out. I am glad you resolved this problem.

Update after leaving thinking motor was all working fine the owner rang me up this morning to say the motor is going backwards. Now the lad that works there did say it didn't seem to be working as well as before. 

The owner in his wisdom had decided to change the cabling round on the motor. Now this is a star delta motor and as you know if you get the cabling wrong something can go bang. Lucky for him it didn't do any damage hopefully to the new £300 starter.  

As said I really don't get to involved with motors so a quick call to canoeboy about reversing motor rotation was needed. He put me right straight away so problem solved. Its all working fine now so a big thanks to

canoeboy once again.

No he actually changed the connections in the motor. As said I thought it was fine as it seemed to be sucking OK.  It was running in reverse and as canoe said the easiest way was to just change to phases on the input wires. It really was lucky he didn't damage anything. I just cannot understand why he didn't call me back to sort it. Customers eh.