The fixed lug rule.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revved Up Sparky

Reaction score
Most sparks know that it is now acceptable to connect earths (as in circuit protective conductors) to the earth terminals of a socket/ fused spur outlet front without installing a short piece of earth to the metal box provided that at least one fixed lug exists on the metal box- thus relying on the pattress screws for earth continuity.

Well today I was inspecting and testing a recently installed rewire (carried out by a different company) and, on inspecting the fused spur outlets in the kitchen, I discovered that the installer had connected all the earths (cpcs) to the earth terminal on the metal box but nothing to the earth terminals on the front of the fused spur.

When I voiced my concern to the installer he said that the fixed lug rule applies and that it is acceptable.

I cannot help feeling uneasy about this though. What if someone decided to re-tile the wall, unscrewed the front and gave it a little pull? the live could pop out and touch the earth bar !-- then when the tiler decided to screw it back on he would get a belt from the livened up earth bar.

Do you think, when connecting a fused spur outlet, that it is acceptable to connect all earths to a metal box and nothing to the actual front ?.

I would really appreciate some clarity on this ?. Thanks in advance.

I recently did the same as you - but ended up changing every socket so that the earth went to the socket rather than the back box.

The worst case scenario with no earth continuity to the back box is that a defective cable or connection could cause the metal box to be live - and hence the screwhead if the screw is not done up tight. Not great - but a limited risk - especially as the cable is solid core and not subject to movement once installed.

If the back box is earthed and not the socket then the worst case is that any appliance has no earth if the screw is not done up tight. With a faulty appliance this could be really nasty!

I would always opt to connect the earth at the socket.

what a retard it must be harder to do it that way :^O

i'd want my accessory earthed as a priority sort of thing

The worst case scenario with no earth continuity to the back box is that a defective cable or connection could cause the metal box to be live - and hence the screwhead if the screw is not done up tight.
Isn't that the same as saying that every backbox with a earth fly lead could potentially suffer the same fate?

And it that case every PIR you do that has socket earth fly leads must have a fail?

]:)

I've just re-read it, I was interpreting 'defective cable' to mean an earth cable that has a voltage on it due to fault conditions.

I think the chap is confused, cpc's should be connected to the accessory, the fixed lug rule only applies to the use of (or not if you want) fly lead between accessory terminal & backbox.

I think the chap is confused, cpc's should be connected to the accessory, the fixed lug rule only applies to the use of (or not if you want) fly lead between accessory terminal & backbox.
you got it M ROTFWL :Applaud

Most sparks know that it is now acceptable to connect earths (as in circuit protective conductors) to the earth terminals of a socket/ fused spur outlet front without installing a short piece of earth to the metal box provided that at least one fixed lug exists on the metal box- thus relying on the pattress screws for earth continuity.Well today I was inspecting and testing a recently installed rewire (carried out by a different company) and, on inspecting the fused spur outlets in the kitchen, I discovered that the installer had connected all the earths (cpcs) to the earth terminal on the metal box but nothing to the earth terminals on the front of the fused spur.

When I voiced my concern to the installer he said that the fixed lug rule applies and that it is acceptable.

Wrong, wrong, wrong

even as a 5 day wonder (as some of you "proper" sparks like to refer to me as) I was taught (during my EAL DI course) to connect cpcs to the accessory. The "no fly lead rule" is about providing earth to the back box from the accessory, not the other way round.

I cannot help feeling uneasy about this though. What if someone decided to re-tile the wall, unscrewed the front and gave it a little pull? the live could pop out and touch the earth bar !-- then when the tiler decided to screw it back on he would get a belt from the livened up earth bar.

Do you think, when connecting a fused spur outlet, that it is acceptable to connect all earths to a metal box and nothing to the actual front ?.

I would really appreciate some clarity on this ?. Thanks in advance.
---

Just shows theres some dodgy Guys out there.

Any one with a basic bit of Electrical sense ought to realise that the PRIORITY is to provide reliable continuity to the accessory and the metal box just requires supplementary bonding in effect.

Have even found a another version of this where one CPC of a Ring circuit has been connected to the Accessory and the other to the back box !

headbang

Thanks for the great input guys, I really appreciate it. This confirms what I suspected and so I will let the installers know that they should stop using that method and connect to the actual accessory first.

Thanks for the great input guys, I really appreciate it. This confirms what I suspected and so I will let the installers know that they should stop using that method and connect to the actual accessory first.
You should also advise the client to insist it be put right.

Yes well I will not be signing the certificate until I am happy so they will have to fix it.... otherwise they will not get paid for the rewire.
Oooh, nice. Great to have the power sometimes isn't it.

Might be a good idea to consult with your schemes tech line as a more solid back-up rather than "I read it on a forum..." *

* let's be honest here - most forums out there are **** poor and all get tarred with the same brush by most.

Oooh, nice. Great to have the power sometimes isn't it.Might be a good idea to consult with your schemes tech line as a more solid back-up rather than "I read it on a forum..." *

* let's be honest here - most forums out there are **** poor and all get tarred with the same brush by most.
apart from this one of course ;) :^O

No need to read it on a forum, its very well written in the regulations. This forum always would suggest to double check all advise, even though as well we know the advise is very often unquestionable.