Thermostat Overheating

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is nothing written on the stat so I can't give you the model number but I presume it is the same make as the boiler which is Ariston. The stat is now up to 24 and the boiler is going still. It is set for 21 so surely the boiler should have stopped?

But you are no nearer to determining if the fault is with the thermostat, or the boiler.  you really need a COMPETENT electrician there when the heating is showing this fault condition.

Keep a record of exactly when (what day of the week and what time) it's over heating, just in case it is in fact the settings of the programmable thermostat are wrong.

Not sure what happened as I posted my reply and its disappeared! Here it is again: The stat hasn't got anything written on it so I can't give you the model number but I presume it's the same make as the boiler which is Ariston. The stat is on 24.5 and the boiler is still going. Surely it should have stopped? It's getting quite uncomfortable in here.

Push the down arrow button on the thermostat. that will manually override the set point (until the next program cycle comes around)

Keep pressing it until the temperature set point is well under 20 degrees.

Once you let go of the buttons, it should turn off. There's often a delay of 20 seconds or a minute, so leave it a short while.  does the boiler shut off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the delay but I've been waiting for the boiler to be going before I did as you said. I pressed the down arrow until it said 19 then went and checked the boiler. I waited several minutes but it hasn't stopped.

As Sharpend said can you post a photo of the thermostat on the forum, it may help others identify what make model it is.  If you save a photo onto your PC then you can add it to your posts;

Select more options at the bottom of the editor

more options.JPG

Then:  Browse,  Attach this file,  Add to Post.

attach a file.JPG

Doc H.

As requested a pic of our statimage.jpg

I'm not sure why but it attached sideways! As you can see it's only on 20 today which to be honest is a blessed relief as the house had become stifling.

That's just a digital thermostat.

It's a Salus RT300 BTW

The displayed temp is the current room temp and the set point is shown for a few seconds when you press either of the up or down buttons

You'll see a little flame like symbol under the 10's digit when it's calling for heat

What boiler do you have BTW?

It's an Ariston combi. Sorry if I gave the wrong information about the stat but I've been getting the answers from my partner as I really haven't got a clue about these things. By pressing the down button yesterday has it reset it? It's still on 20 which is unusual altho the room is comfortable, not cold even though the window is open.

Good point, not that I'm aware of! My partners gone out but I'll ask him when he comes back. Thanks for the link but the page is unavailable- it said it may be temporarily down or could have moved to a different website so I'll google it in a minute to find out which battery I need. Hopefully you've hit the nail on the head but I'm surprised neither engineer thought about doing it!

That's what I just discovered from the manual and it has not indicated low battery so obviously that's not the problem. It's not gone above 22 today but that's what's so strange - it doesn't overheat every day.

One of my posts failed to appear (I found I'd been signed out after I posted!) so I'll write it again.

Thanks for explaining about the programmable stat, I now understand but there is still a lot I don't understand. The engineer said it wasn't costing us as it wasn't calling for gas but the boiler is often running despite there being no flag/flame saying its calling for gas. Surely it costs evert time it runs? Surely it can't run without using gas?