Thermostat Overheating

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went up to see if I could see the if the burner was lit (although my partner said you can't see it, I intended to take the front panel off) but the boiler has now stopped!! Sod's law, I'll have to check next time it's running. By demand temperature I assume you mean the temp it's set at? If so its 21.

I haven't got enough knowledge on the hot water and I have no idea what a diverted valve is, sorry. I thought the hot water is separate as I hear the boiler start up when I run the hot tap and then go straight off when I turn the tap off again.

I did respond but I'm not sure if it posted. Both engineers were from a firm in Peterborough called Jones Heating who also fitted our boiler 4 years ago.

I don't know if this will help or not but I just went up and took a photo of the boiler and lo and behold the boiler came on while I was checking it so I snapped a couple more as it came on. The 50 and 60 lights you see only stayed on for a few seconds after it came onimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

You are just going round in circles here. you are not going to diagnose and fix this on a forum.

you have been unlucky and employed incompetent "engineers" who charged you money and failed to fix the fault.

Do as I suggested earlier, find a local electrician, who you have confirmed before hand understands gas heating systems.  He will be able to determine if it's a thermostat fault or a boiler fault and fix it.

You are just going round in circles here. you are not going to diagnose and fix this on a forum.

you have been unlucky and employed incompetent "engineers" who charged you money and failed to fix the fault.

Do as I suggested earlier, find a local electrician, who you have confirmed before hand understands gas heating systems.  He will be able to determine if it's a thermostat fault or a boiler fault and fix it.
funnily,

that is more or less the response I was going to post,

this is NOT going to be a remote fix,

it requires some actual hands on testing,

I bet this boiler has a small thermal store to try and help you get hot water quicker,,, I know that Worcester Bosch boilers have an "eco" button that turns this off

You'd be better off finding the number for the boilers manufacturer and giving them a call

Do you have any other type of heating that you're using?

No other type of heating. I think you may be right about calling an electrician but I would have liked some answers to my questions so this one doesn't fob me off plus my partner is still going with what the first one said about it not being a problem as its not calling for gas so it's not costing us. I have very little understanding of central heating and my partner knows this but I stand by what I have said all along - this HAS to be costing us as all this heat cannot be generated for free. No one on here has agreed with this so I have nothing to back up my argument with either my partner or an electrician.

Go to a shop and buy an ordinary thermometer, Stick it next to the thermostat.

If the thermometer reading goes higher than the thermostat setting, then you know there is a fault, and you know it is costing you money....

john..

The problem that we have is that we can't see and feel what you're on about.

Here's another possibility.... Maybe your property is so well insulated that the radiators stay hot for so long after the roomstat has turned off that it allows the temperature to rise to an uncomfortable level. If this is the case then I think that the radiator temperature should be lowered so that it warms the house much slower and will therefore have much less of an overshoot.

Just thinking out of the box ;)

What an excellent idea and I just happen to have a room thermometer which I've located and put next to the stat. My partner has also agreed to calling an electrician so I'm about to go look for the best one I can find. I will let you all know the outcome of both the thermometer and the electrician and thanks for all your help.

P.S. As for the house being too well insulated, without doubt it's not!

I thought it was strange when our stat kept overheating every evening but what happened next is even stranger - after sorting an electrician the stat stopped overheating and has been working perfectly ever since! I cancelled the electrician fully expecting I'd have to rebook him when it overheated again but so far it hasn't done. If it does I'll let you all know ok.

Btw the thermometer is permanently the same temp as the stat.