This new NVQ 3

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember everyone if you don't have an NVQ you are not fully qualified no matter what anyone says to the contrary
:slap ROTFWLROTFWL:slap

Well if you completed a time served apprenticeship then you are qualified.
B******s. Many people I know have done other courses, and they're as good as anyone, sometimes better than some people who have done apprenticeships. I never did an apprenticeship. So what does that make me? An overqualified DIYer? I think not.

I think the key work here is qualified. You could techincally qualifiy by just doing exams, so I think that you should think about things before you say them in the future.

I'm James Elliott

I am qualified

I don't care what the NVQ 'Expert' has to say about his precious NVQ 3

Good Night

my name is Albert,Im am an unqualified electrician,

I need help,

Guinness Guinness

Guinness Guinness

Guinness Guinness
Don't worry, I know you must be finding it difficult. After all those three wires can be difficult to remember. I usually find a nice cheap cable such as bell wire can be used for many tasks, especially meter tails. Just bundle the wires in where you can, use a nice large breaker, a 50A usually works best, that way it don't trip. Then scribble some numbers on the test certificate, collect the cash and run. If anyone asks, just tell them you're mum said you were qualified, in which case the customer has to believe you, cos anything my mum says goes! If you need any further advice, like how to wire three phase my way, just give us a shout [email protected]

I can also be reached by phone

Just call up Parkhurst and ask for cell 473! :slap

Have a look on the jib website at grading definitions- NVQ 3 is putting all the theory into practice ,you can talk the talk but you need to show competence on site,end of story,end of cowboys !

NVQ Expert,An NVQ in what qualifies you in what exactly?

Are Electrical Engineers with Honours or Masters Degrees in Electrical Engineering not qualified?

I very much doubt that one person on the BS7671 committee holds an NVQ!

What about those who did traditional old fashioned apprenticeships with Indentures?

They are qualified and they undertook a much higher level of study both academic and practical than any modern NVQ will give you, so how come these guys are no longer qualified?

Who took that away from them and on what grounds, because if this is the case then there may well be a few legal challenges coming up as I suspect that AMICUS should fight the corner for their members who undertook formal documented CITB or EITB, (in latter years) apprenticeships if they are now to have their trade taken away from them?

Please explain more as I for one will be making further enquiries if someone has taken my trade away from me even though I still have my indentures and certificates from the EITB, my C&G certs, and my apprenticeship completion cert.

This is wrong, how can it be that someone can make my previous training invalid?

I have undertaken my continuous training and kept up with current requirements.

Does this make both my Engineering Degrees invalid too?

What about all the other qualifications I have, as they are not NVQ's do they not count for anything either?

How can someone take these away, surely this is wrong?
Hi All,

I found this old posting while rumaging around. I also spoke to Elecsa last week about part p related matters.

Though it has been put back a little, this is my situation.

Fully indentured apprentice- irrelevant

2360-1 and 2- irrelevant

I came out of my time in 1985, 11 years before NVQ. Not my fault then, that i have no NVQ- irrelevant.

Asked if grandfather rights were to be accredited. Was told there are no grandfather rights.

Effectively I will be busted down to an electricians mate in 2013. :(

Thats the crux of the problem Doc, but you now have until April 2013 to register under Part P without the need for an NVQ according to NAPIT and the NICEIC. I think that there will be huge issues in the future with regards to training because of this and the 2357.

AndyGuinness

Hi The Doctor and Zeespark,

What you mean "April 2013" ?????? I asked ELECSA a few months ago, and was told quite catagorically, [in writing actually] that if you want to join their scheme, you have until the end of december 2011 as a cut off date for new applications, after which you will need the new NVQ. Are you saying that they have now changed their minds????

john...

Hi Zeespark,

I agree. There is no way in this world that all you electricians that have "proper" traditional qualifications are all going to go and do NVQs just to register with the schemes.

Since at the end of the day all the schemes are interested in is promoting themselves, there is no way that they are going to do anything that reduces their potential membership/income.

No idea what the final outcome will be?? What you think?? Perhaps the local authorities might just say that they want to inspect ALL electrical work themselves [at a fee] and the schemes will all go bust.

This would suit central government just fine, as it would be another source of income for local government. Besides, after all, the building control people would not pass any other "construction" work just because the brickie was in some scheme or other, they obviously want to see for themselves. I can see this being extended to electrical work too. Seems to me to be the only logical, workable thing they can do if they want to persist with the part "P" thing

What you all think??

john..

I think that the schemes will push for way around the NVQ route. NAPIT are making noises about using 2 years worth of provable jobs/experience instead of the NVQ 3 (handy for guys like The Doctor), the NICEIC are looking at amending one of their Level 2 courses to become a Level 3 and do away with the NVQ 3 for themselves all together. A farce is taking place if you ask Me (on the part of Summit Skills)

AndyGuinness

The whole thing is an utter farce. I'm disgusted with the schemes. First off they've filled their ranks with utterly useless individuals in their greedy pursuits and now these people will get grandfather rights because they're already registered. Secondly they've opened the flood gates by allowing people to register with minimum qualifications before the 2012 ruling. The most disgusting thing is though is that they won't allow the likes of the part p doctor entry, an individual of which there are many who are infinitely superior to the inferior one hit wonders that are abound. When is this farce going to get sorted out? Before you all think I'm throwing my toys out of my pram because I don't have NVQ 3 I actually have one so I'm safe, but I still think it all stinks to high heaven!

The whole thing is an utter farce. I'm disgusted with the schemes. First off they've filled their ranks with utterly useless individuals in their greedy pursuits and now these people will get grandfather rights because they're already registered. Secondly they've opened the flood gates by allowing people to register with minimum qualifications before the 2012 ruling. The most disgusting thing is though is that they won't allow the likes of the part p doctor entry, an individual of which there are many who are infinitely superior to the inferior one hit wonders that are abound. When is this farce going to get sorted out? Before you all think I'm throwing my toys out of my pram because I don't have NVQ 3 I actually have one so I'm safe, but I still think it all stinks to high heaven!
So the apprentice i've got with me will be better qualified than me when he gets he's NVQ3,

Then i'll be he's lackey :C