This new NVQ 3

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I have been banging on about it, but it seems I have got some sense out of someone. I phoned NAPIT up yesterday, and they said that if you have a level 3 qualification and you want to register under Part P after January 1st 2012, then you don't need to worry about doing an NVQ. The lady I spoke to said that the wording given out as being 'NVQ or equivalent' meaning that the 2330 is more than sufficient for NAPIT to accept your application. She also said that the new NVQ is for guys just starting their college work now. I hope this clears a few things up, I for one am glad to know what the score seems to be now.

AndyGuinness

john,

You "seem" to be very local to me!

I know several of the lecturers at swancoll, and have been asked to teach there several times, but refused!

Are you in Swansea?

Oh Dear :C What am I going to do :C

I havent even got a 2391 :C

Wonder if Asda have anything going :slap
I believe that ASDA now do a 2391 and an NVQ 3 DIY home testing kit, available on VHS, CD ROM, Floppy Disk and in 'For Dummies' version

All for

Oh Dear :C What am I going to do :C

I havent even got a 2391 :C

Wonder if Asda have anything going :slap
Probably a BOGOf offer going I think

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:05 ----------

I thought that as long as you have the 17th ed which is a Lvl 3 qualification then that would satisfy joining a scam. I was doing my 2391 at the time of my assessment and nothing was mentioned about me needing to pass this..maybe on my next assessment that they will want to see evidence of this that I have got the 2391-10 qualification..

can someone please explain to me the differences

2391-10

2391-20

sorry if this is a stupid question,

I just dont understand the differences or what is involved in each part, ie, -10 or -20 as opposed to the older 2391.

thanks.

Which is the one that asda do? I thought it was the 2391 - 70 (make up qualifications because people will think you are cool)

Steps,

2391-10 is the "old" 2391 - Inspection & Test

2391-20 is the "old" 2400 - Design & Verification

Both are level 3 qualifications

You can't do 2400 unless you have done 2391, then you have to sit the 2391 prac exam as well as the "2400" theory & project.

So there are 4 parts to the 2391-10/20 qualification in total, the 2391 practical, the 2391 theory, the 2400 theory & the 2400 project.

The closed book 2391 is al bout I&T including periodics, the 2400 is about fundamental design, you know about the 2391 and the new 2391-10 is an identical syllabus and is a closed book written exam IIRC 3 hours?

The 2391 prac you know the board with single & 3ph circuits etc. to do a periodic on in a couple of hours there may have been fault finding too? I can't remember now!!!

The 2400 project is a totally documented fundamental design of an installation, more often than not from a spec and commercial.

You have to do all the cable calcs for the loads, draw up the layouts cable runs, decide on the wiring materials and containment with justifications, you have to select all the accessories, lighting etc and justify, you need to allow for any special loads etc. mine had a lift, so you need to then allow for the regs around lifts etc. you have to consider ring loads, volt drops in rings for fixed loads if you use rings, there is normally something in the spec to force you to use at least one ring!

The exam is then design calcs on cables, volt drops, Zs, ccc, etc. there will be some I&T in it also, it is again 3 hours with 10 questions all long answer, a regs book, gn3 & the osg available to you. Remember though you can't sit this according to C&G rules unless you have passed 2391.

I don't remember being allowed books in my exam though, I did mine before the Rev did his.

See what Canoeboy can remember from doing his, not sure when he sat it?

See the 2391 page here: Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Verification of Electrical Installations | Construction and Building | Electrical installation | City & Guilds

Qualification handbooks here:

http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/2391-10-hb-v2.pdf

http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/2391-20-hb-v1.pdf

The "joking" 2931 is actually 2392.

See the 2392 page here:

Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification | Construction and Building | Electrical Installation | City & Guilds

This is an online multiple choice fundamentals only and is only domestic & is a level 2 qualification

Qualification handbook here:

http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/ind_sport/2392-10-l2-hb-v1.1.pdf

Both of these qualifications along with several other related ones are showing last registrations as 31/12/11, so they look like they are all being terminated?

Remember everyone if you don't have an NVQ you are not fully qualified no matter what anyone says to the contrary

NVQ Expert,

An NVQ in what qualifies you in what exactly?

Are Electrical Engineers with Honours or Masters Degrees in Electrical Engineering not qualified?

I very much doubt that one person on the BS7671 committee holds an NVQ!

What about those who did traditional old fashioned apprenticeships with Indentures?

They are qualified and they undertook a much higher level of study both academic and practical than any modern NVQ will give you, so how come these guys are no longer qualified?

Who took that away from them and on what grounds, because if this is the case then there may well be a few legal challenges coming up as I suspect that AMICUS should fight the corner for their members who undertook formal documented CITB or EITB, (in latter years) apprenticeships if they are now to have their trade taken away from them?

Please explain more as I for one will be making further enquiries if someone has taken my trade away from me even though I still have my indentures and certificates from the EITB, my C&G certs, and my apprenticeship completion cert.

This is wrong, how can it be that someone can make my previous training invalid?

I have undertaken my continuous training and kept up with current requirements.

Does this make both my Engineering Degrees invalid too?

What about all the other qualifications I have, as they are not NVQ's do they not count for anything either?

How can someone take these away, surely this is wrong?

Latest posts