Tips for studing for 2391 theory

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicks electrix

Reaction score
Evening all,

I done the 2391 and passed the practical but failed the dreaded theory. Im rewriting the theory on the 10th of June. Does anyone have any tips on what to concentrate on? Or best way to revise for it? Or is it to cram GN3?

Thanks

Nick what do you feel weakest at if that makes sense?AndyGuinness
Hi Andy,

I carry out 2 PIR's everyday for the company i work for. So i am quite comfortable with all test procedures and filling out certs. I just dont know what to expect. I done the exam 3 years ago and did not really have the knowledge that i have now.

Thanks

i have got mine the 10th june as well at moment i am reviseing 2hrs a night but still bricking it i have used the iee book witch gives some good tips on how to lay the ans in part b

As the other posters have said keep reading your GN3 also if possible get hold of as many past papers as you can , I,d say half of the questions are repeaters and it helps to see how they want the answers written, you can find some online if not i,m sure I have some knocking about from my exam last year. Best of luck

As the other posters have said keep reading your GN3 also if possible get hold of as many past papers as you can , I,d say half of the questions are repeaters and it helps to see how they want the answers written, you can find some online if not i,m sure I have some knocking about from my exam last year. Best of luck
Thanks i did manage to get some past papers online with all the answers.

i have got mine the 10th june as well at moment i am reviseing 2hrs a night but still bricking it i have used the iee book witch gives some good tips on how to lay the ans in part b
Which IEE book is that?

The book is called Exam success inspection and testing 2391 10 IEE city & guilds i got mine from water stones book shop it cost

I do not have any trouble with nerves when I have to sit an exam, so I guess I am lucky.

My mindset is that if I am here its because I know what I want and if I fail, it just shows I am not ready.

I have passed every exam on this basis, and yes I have sometimes got myself all worked up beforehand.

I did one exam without a calculator in 13 minutes and scored 87%, with the calculator it would have been higher.

My advise, would be to find what your strengths and weakneses are.

Its no good going over what you already know, just concentrate on what you think is holding you back.

Past papers will give you a very good idea of what the layout of the questions are set around, and if you look you will pick out a pattern in the way they ask things.

Like I have said I am a bit of a freak of nature, in that I don't get nervous on exams, and I am not really bothered with failure because that in itself teaches me another lesson never learned from a book or classroom

Like I have said I am a bit of a freak of nature, in that I don't get nervous on exams, and I am not really bothered with failure because that in itself teaches me another lesson never learned from a book or classroom
That makes two of us! I used to find it great fun before exams eating a bacon sandwich and drinking coffee whilst my classmates swatted at index cards and rushed to the toilet.

Calm as a cucumber :D

get as many past papers as you can part 2 was the hardest as city & guilds give you one question which you could give 5 answers for then they still mark you as a fail buggers.

Oof the best tips I got when I took mine was in section B use diagrams wherever possible. So if it asks how to test say a radial circuit for r1 +r2 then use a little diagram as they appear in GN3. Diagrams are much easier to read, explain your point better than many words can. Don't forget to label them etc.

Like GH, I don't get nervous before exams, so I'm not qualified to advise about how to get over them.

I agree with Apache. You should be turning up to the exam hall in good shape. My policy was never to do any revising (known as cramming) the night before. Get to bed in good time, get up refreshed and have a good breakfast. Take with you only what you need. Act cool, be cool. If you cram it adds to the tension. I used to walk round the campus the night before and see people getting all stressed in the library etc. But I think that just leads to increased nerves the next day and stops you sleeping properly the night before. Your brain works best when it is relaxed, well fed and properly hydrated.

In the run up:

Read a few pages of relevant text books each night. Again, do so in a relaxed atmosphere and if you're tired put the book away. Do as many past questions as you can and refer to relevant texts as you are doing them. As you get nearer to the exam, try to do the questions without reference and in the time alloted (repeat questions you've done previously under this regime).

If you've been going to college, study your lecture notes. Relate them to the books.

I wasn't in the situation of working when also doing my degree, but in your situation try to relate the texts to your work by looking things up during the day and thinking about related work situations when your doing your reading. Try to make the theory real.

Evening all,I done the 2391 and passed the practical but failed the dreaded theory. Im rewriting the theory on the 10th of June. Does anyone have any tips on what to concentrate on? Or best way to revise for it? Or is it to cram GN3?

Thanks
Rewrite is so the answers are easier. :)

Seriously I agree with what Apache said, if you dont know it the night before spending all night reviseing is'nt going to help, Get a good nights sleep and go in fresh,

Hope it goes well.

Latest posts