TLC-DIRECT complaint

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemist

Reaction score
I thought they had a great website, and good prices, but it seems as soon as anything goes wrong they just aren't interested.

Bought 25m of 4mm cable from TLC about a month ago, it was dodgy with all the cores welded to the sheath, totally unusable, had to rip it out of the wall when I was supposed to be doing second fix. Right pain in the arse.

I've emailed and phoned them including on their complaints email. Keep getting told i'll be refunded but it never happens. headbang

Anyone else had any problems like this. My order came from the Slough branch. I'm simply not using them anymore, life's too short to have to keep phoning and emailing, they've lost my business until at least I get my money back and if that never happens i'll be contacting the small claims court!

I believe that CCC & others have had probs with a bad batch of turkish made cable that was doing the rounds.

Evidently it was supposed to be BASEC approved but the test results were false. (I am being very circumspect here - draw your own conclusions.)

I don't know what the make was TBH. It wasn't on a drum so no labels, I don't remember seeing basec on the sheath. Do manufacturers put their name on the cable itself? I've never really paid attention.

I've found Doncaster cable from CEF and prysmian to be reliable so far. Are they the actual manufacturers or do they buy it in from elsewhere?

Doncaster Cable do manufacture but also import cable. Not sure about Prysmian.

I had a 100mtr roll of 1.5mm with the same problem week before Christmas (pull out the few meters I'd installed & had to use 1.5 3c I had on the van), it was from my local Eyre & Elliston outlet.....

I've still yet to return it, I'll take a look to see the manufacturer in the morning.

I've had exactly the same problem recently with some 4mm I got from a local indy. Total rubbish.

I've also found that the Doncaster stuff consistantly has a lack of chalk and have complained to CEF about it. I got no real joy (they said they'd replace it, but that's a bit late when it's already in the wall), so now I only buy it if I'm desperate.

I now only buy Prysmium or Draka from Edmundsons (or Screwfix if I must) and haven't had any problems with either (so far).

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Footnote:

CEF told me they'd never had any complaints before!! Either:

# most cable is bought by 'firms' and the emplyees just put up with the problem 'cos it's just hassle and anyway, as 'just employees' they don't give a monkeys anyway

or

# they're lying and don't give a monkeys themselves

Only time I have had problems was years ago when I sub contracted had some PX 2.5 now that was really bad like this 4mm took hours to strip as the outer was welded to inner core said about this to owner of company but he did not care lucky all of it was not like it just some. A lot of cable does seem to be lacking in the chalk. I have started using Pyrsmian as it does seem to strip better than other brands. As for Doncaster cables as I don't use CEF these days I don't come into contact with it. I did for a while and had some 2.5 Tw/e now the neutral conductor was very discoloured I would imagine it was not very pure copper after that batch stopped using it.

I've had exactly the same problem recently with some 4mm I got from a local indy. Total rubbish.I've also found that the Doncaster stuff consistantly has a lack of chalk and have complained to CEF about it. I got no real joy (they said they'd replace it, but that's a bit late when it's already in the wall), so now I only buy it if I'm desperate.

I now only buy Prysmium or Draka from Edmundsons (or Screwfix if I must) and haven't had any problems with either (so far).

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Footnote:

CEF told me they'd never had any complaints before!! Either:

# most cable is bought by 'firms' and the emplyees just put up with the problem 'cos it's just hassle and anyway, as 'just employees' they don't give a monkeys anyway

or

# they're lying and don't give a monkeys themselves
Ask them about the cable they have in a quarantined zone pending legal action against the supplier.

I generally use Prysmian myself but have used Doncaster without any problems at all ..

Latest posts