TO Pir or not

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been asked to pir a restaurant that is half of a pub

I think there is only one meter and some how they divide the bill

looked at the db in restaurant tp+n supply and all the individual breakers are written up as upstairs flat ,

old bar

and all manner of things that could go anywhere in this building.

I havent spoken to the pub business manager yet to see what he knows but it seems that this could take a long while to sort out and i may have to interupt the pubs supply as well,never goes down well.

To quote or not to quote that is the question

For one like this perhaps overprice and hope not to get it or walkaway your advice guys please.

To quote or not to quote that is the question

For one like this perhaps overprice and hope not to get it or walkaway your advice guys please.
1, you indicate problems with the installation, not a good sign.

2, as a result of the above you're not sure how much to charge.

3, you're not sure how long this is going to take (overall).

4, most important how important is it you, this business? Can you afford to overquote in an effort to walk away? If so it doesn't matter.

The Godfather

or offer to do it on a pre-arranged hourly rate? no?
The problem with PIR's Apache is they can become a rats nest, you find an issue, and it becomes a nightmare, perhaps a never ending stream of junction boxes and terminal blocks all concealed and all conspiring to create problems, like incresing Zs (and or a poor IR result)..

To make matters worse (or often the case), spurs upon spurs.

Quite often on the initial inspection, a few loops test on sockets can give good indication, that all is not well.

The Godfather

To be honest you cannot do a PIR on half an installation.

If its a shared meter you will have to PIR the whole installation, because one circuit may effect another.

As for the pricing I would go for about

Some very useful reply s as usual many thanks.Applaud Smiley

The more i think of it the less i want to get involved in this one! :(

Trouble is in the present climate turning work away is so hard, however unless a per day price till sorted can be agreed that is what i will have to do.

I do not normally do the day rate thing but the suggestion seems to make the best sense in this case . ssab

i would still go for 600, allowing for 2 days, i really dont think this is over priced.

i dont see how you can run a business on less than 300 a day and still make a prophit,(i know spelt wrong)

if he wont pay let some other muppet do it and do the work that does pay ..

remember we can all work for nowt.

Latest posts