Todays job

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonkeyDong

Reaction score
Had to install a supply to a detached office/garage today (not finished the job yet).

Consists of a 55m run of swa, so had to fit another new service box for the fused isolator.

There wasn't really room in the existing box to terminated SWA, so used conduit to link them with normal tails.

55m run of SWA is at guttering height and then under a road (the underground duct magically appeared! lol)

TT'ing the office/garage. Applaud Smiley

D.

20032009175.jpg

20032009174.jpg

From the pics provided the job looks neat enough. However the size of the swa looks pretty small, have you acounted for voltage drop and future expansion, they always want more after you have finished. 55m is a long run.

Yep...

One tail per 20mm galv conduit.

Boths lengths are bonded together and used as the CPC to the fused isolator.

Took a while to cut the wall and sink in the box. Then it was fun running the conduit into the original box, as it was very flush compared to newer boxes (had to bend the conduit)

I hate domestic jobs!

D.

If my maths is right I can run 60A over that length - its 16mm.

The length is less than 55m - thats what I ordered to play safe! :D

D

16mm, lol just shows how pics can be deceptive, it looks a hell of a lot smaller but you are correct on the size, my bad!!

Now I've had a few bevvies tonight, so forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree so's to speak, but will a single tail in each bit of galv tube not cause eddy currents?

All the same looks neat DD

correct - if entering an enclosure via a metal plate that fully surrounds them.

On commercial/industrial jobs i've used special plates/flanges which were designed to stop this happening - normally slit with a rubber joint.

O.

I must admit it looks like a very neat job, just shows the professionalism on this forum.

My pics will have to be extra special now

16mm, lol just shows how pics can be deceptive, it looks a hell of a lot smaller but you are correct on the size, my bad!!
Sounds like you need to invest in a bigger monitor for your PC there GH!?Blushing:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

...will a single tail in each bit of galv tube not cause eddy currents?
i think its only if there are metalically connected, i.e if the boxes were metal
Yep...One tail per 20mm galv conduit.

Boths lengths are bonded together and used as the CPC to the fused isolator...
Hmmmmmm, wont that (bonding them together) give the same effact as coneecting them to a metal enclosure?

Hmmmmmm, wont that (bonding them together) give the same effact as coneecting them to a metal enclosure?
only if its ferrous, copper doesnt have eddy current effects.

and IIRC, the further they are apart, the less of a problem it is.

Hi guys,

Went back to the job the other day.

Grabbed a few more piccies as requested.

Cheers,

D.

04042009219.jpg

04042009221.jpg