Torque screwdrivers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a great believer in 'nip twiddle nip and tug' LEAVE IT!

Nip the connector up

twiddle the cable

nip it up again

give the connection a quick tug

if not happy then repeat

For the unknowing a 'nip' is a unit of rotational torque measured in 'grunts' or 'milligrunts' or 'centigrunts' which can be cross referenced to a calibrated torque driver/wrench!

Just remember, if the spit hits the fan and you end up in Court, some clever bewigged member of the legal profession will hang you out to dry if you cannot prove you connected 'as per manufacturers instructions'

Connections never 'seem' tight enough to me. I have 3 torque settings; nip, grun-tight and shear. so a torque driver is quite handy... :coat

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:32 ----------

...give it a try next time you connect some 25mm tails...tighten to what you think is correct, leave it a couple of minutes, give it a twiddle and see if you can get a couple more turns on it. The bigger the cables [solid strands NOT trirated stuff], the worse they are

...give it a try next time you connect some 25mm tails...tighten to what you think is correct, leave it a couple of minutes, give it a twiddle and see if you can get a couple more turns on it. The bigger the cables [solid strands NOT trirated stuff], the worse they are
Good advice that - No matter how tight you get it first off, its always loose after you have moved it about a bit afterwards!. I also try and take out the hight twist in the strands of meter tails and form them into a more flat or square cross section than the circular they come in to allow maximum contact area with the box terminal

Torque for bolt is depends on size and grade of the bold. Aldo material of the bold.

I have to admit that I finally succumbed to getting one. More on the understanding that i never want "some bewigged member of the legal profession" (nice description Kerching :) ) getting the better of me in court. In folding .... and paying out that painful sum ..... I get solace from the believing that it is like an insurance. How and when I use the device is between me and my toolbox. Not having one makes me cannon fodder for the legal rapists ! Bottom line for me is that I will sleep better knowing that one more thing is covered.

So, what's next. So long as I have a hole in my a**e there will always be something else !

Been using one for ages now (Whia) excellent tool, always the first grabbed out of the bag.

Just a note, my business partner has been testing 14 flats new build. Guys (SUBBIES!!) have been using - impact drivers!!! he has had to replace 60 MCB's eight RCD's and a couple of RCBO's, about

Those impact drivers are a menace they give me a headache. Just get a decent battery drill and there is no need to knock screws in.

Never had a desire to get an impact, but when I got one well what can I say. Excellent for fixing items too walls ceilings etc. haven't tried yet but have heard reports of being very good with a fluted bit for drilling joists. Mind you have too say my Milwaukee drill seems to cope like a hot knife through butter.

I wouldn't use an impact drill for joists. You'll shear it off, especially with the increased force from a larger diameter bit. I can kill screwdriver bits regularly, but the torque they generate is amazing!

Just thought I would bump this thread.

My reason is I have been asked to provide all torque settings and a copy of my torque drivers calibration certificate with all issued EIC's.

Good job I have a set or I would have been goosed.

All Electricians I know have torque Screwdrivers and never use them. I'm not aware that they have ever been pulled up on it though. Maybe the fact that they own them is plenty or Mr Assessor to be happy.

Just thought I would bump this thread.My reason is I have been asked to provide all torque settings and a copy of my torque drivers calibration certificate with all issued EIC's.

Who's asked you for those then Manator?

Scheme provider? Customer? Insurance co.?

It'd be interesting to know;)

Its the clients mate, not your average Joe's either, they thought they could have us over a barrel and made a right load of fuss until they received my e-mail reply.

My clients are usually spot on with regulations, and I suspect they have been ordered by the big wigs to make sure everything is covered.

It is actually a requirement under BS7671.Lets see if anyone knows why.
To be read in the style of that irritating theatrical gob s h i t e John Sessions ' me Sir Me Sir.....134.1.1 Sir, thank you Sir as I said to Johhny Gielgud the other name dropping day:coat '.........

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:23 ----------

Just thought I would bump this thread.My reason is I have been asked to provide all torque settings and a copy of my torque drivers calibration certificate with all issued EIC's.

Are they asking for each individual setting? or just M3 = XNm, M10 = YNm ?

Just curious, as I have some 'clued up' clients who may possibly follow suit............ :coat

Latest posts