Transformer Telegraph Poles

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltonsparky

Reaction score
Just asking here on the off chance there are some over head linesmen members.

There's an old redundant transformer stand mounted on twin telegraph poles that has a light attached over looking a car park that I've been up today to bolt the light up as it was only tied on previously with rope.

All utility equipment has been removed from the twin poles, all that remains is the heavy metal bed that the transformer would have sat on and the bar at the top that would have carried the over head lines. The poles are wooden, free standing and joined together with the transformer bed. 

The poles were wobbling about when about 2/3rds of the way up them (at the transformer bed) about 4-6 inches approx. guessing some of the wobble was the flex in the wood but did make me question their structural integrity. 

I'm sure they aren't about to blow over but wondered if anyone here knew the life expectancy of these poles?

At an estimate the steel work still up there would weigh around 50kgs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be very careful Poles rot in the ground, a basic test before climbing any wooden pole is to prod with a sharp point around the base of the pole to check for rot, if soft and point goes in easy DO NOY CLIMB. Also tapping around the pole will identify unsoundness by its tone. (By the way Telegraph Poles are for Telephone wires, these are Electricity supply poles)

I was always told to prod with a sharp point, and tap with the hammer before even trying to climb a pole. I have not done so for some considerable years now but still remember the advise.

I did in my youth decide to descend via the steel cable and got a rather nasty piercing for my trouble. It tore through my leg as if it was butter and left a 6" scar that I am both ashamed and proud of.

Nice one, cheers for the pointers. They didn't fall over with me at the top of the ladder leant against them so guessing they aren't totally rotten but next time I'm back there I'll do the prodding and tapping test and see if they've started rotting.

You can be confident they've started rotting, the question is if they've finished rotting !

Just an observation to the above but there should be

a plate on the pole at about eye level that indicates

when it was last renewed.  It does not give ANY sort

of indication of the state of the pole below ground

but it could assist as a guide to its age.  This is the

procedure for telegraph poles.

Latest posts