TV arial

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevemul

Reaction score
My kitchen TV ‘s coaxial cable running over a flat roof to an arial on a pole attached to a dormer window is old and the mesh has oxidised. It’s about 25 meters max.
I phone a local arial fitter and he quoted me £150 to replace the cable plus an arial “ if it needs it” which presumably it would!
Is this the current typical rate for a 30min job?

My kitchen TV ‘s coaxial cable running over a flat roof to an arial on a pole attached to a dormer window is old and the mesh has oxidised. It’s about 25 meters max.
I phone a local arial fitter and he quoted me £150 to replace the cable plus an arial “ if it needs it” which presumably it would!

might take 30 minutes to do the job. what about travel time to get there? time spent going for materials? time spent giving quotes?

might take 30 minutes to do the job. what about travel time to get there? time spent going for materials? time spent giving quotes?
He lives locally, he’s an arial fitter so he’ll have a van full of materials and he quoted me over the phone.

He lives locally, he’s an arial fitter so he’ll have a van full of materials and he quoted me over the phone.
do you think the van full of materials magically appeared on their own? still time involved in keeping stock

quoted over the phone is still time taken. and he still has to travel even if its local

get a few more estimates

Trying to understand how the OP assesses this as a 30 min job, I wonder how long it took him to find the braid exposed in the coax

I very much doubt you could clip a 25 metre run of cable and terminate and test it in 30 mins including getting the ladder off and back on the van

Trying to understand how the OP assesses this as a 30 min job, I wonder how long it took him to find the braid exposed in the coax

I very much doubt you could clip a 25 metre run of cable and terminate and test it in 30 mins including getting the ladder off and back on the van
And then there's the rusted nuts to remove, rusted coax connections etc etc

First of all I doubt it will be less than 90 mins. £50 for materials, then his liability and van insurance, plus van running costs, then income tax on the rest... you have a fair price!

Why don’t you run your own cable, use sat cable as it is double shielded (braid and foil) connect it up and if that doesn’t fix it buy or get an aerial fitter to fit a new head.

30 min job :unsure: so you think he could do 16 of these jobs in a day including assessing the job, getting parts, travelling, invoicing, vat returns, training, etc etc which all comes into a part of "work" when self employed.
I would think he would have to allow 2 hours to do job with travelling etc, £50 aerial, £10 cable/ connectors, £?? fuel / van & public liability insurance, 20% gone in VAT, 20% gone in income tax, he's probably making £40 in real terms.
I would say that's a good price

My kitchen TV ‘s coaxial cable running over a flat roof to an arial on a pole attached to a dormer window is old and the mesh has oxidised
do people still use tv aerials ?

OP still has not listed the fault
You will get a top class aerial for £50 and a good one for £20 then the cable £8 in the orange warehouse
I think £150 is cheep, when I was doing them 30 years ago it was £100 for a 10 element +pole + lashing kit + down lead clipped into the house (you drilled a hole in window frame) but this when they were needed

Does he live next door???

And/Or have you calculated: travel time, material costs, overheads, insurance, time collecting materials required for your job, admin doing paperwork, Have you got at least Three-Quotes... Or just the one.... etc.. ?

Or are you just guessing, at your expected costs??????????

I love it when customers tell me how long a job will take. Especially the ten minute ones.

yep depending on the aerial it can take a decent bit longer than 30 minutes tbh
When I was doing the run for the aerial I installed at home it took me a good hour to run the cable (granted it was all the way along the garden and up into the loft to airing cupboard where I have the amp. (granted I'm just a diyer but you get the idea haha)

he also has to factor in insurance and travel costs and also allow for any issues that might happen

that price seems good to me tbh

Locked as thread is going in circles

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.