Under floor cabling

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comptonspark

Reaction score
I'm looking at a domestic rewire where the ground floor is suspended on normal floor joists with approx 9 inches below the bottom of the joists and the earth or builders rubble. My question is regarding the running of cables below the floor.

Obviously running cables across the joists I can drill the joists and pull the cables through but that then leaves the cables that run with the joists unsupported, unless I pull up lots more floorboards and clip cables to side of joists. Is there a good way of running cables in this case, or is it just acceptable to run all the cables below the joists?. I would prefer a neater solution, that keeps the cables off the rubble, but don't want to totally destroy the floors to clip direct.

99% of work I have seen is just dangled on the ground. Unless there is a good crawl gap making access to clip viable I don't bother either. The only thing I will advise is avoiding is looping cable so that it doesn't touch floor and therefore is putting a lot of tension on the cable. It will interesting to see how many others admit they don't clip either:innocent

OK I admit it , I lay them on the ground under floors . I would clip them if I could .

I have never seen cables laid like that suffer any deteriation.

Cut trap each side of room , feed length of PVC conduit through, hook cable on and pull through.