underfloor heating advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordy71

Reaction score
This week im fitting my first underfloor heating kit. It is made by a company called VYSAL.It is in a bathroom ontop of floorboards and will have tiles ontop.

My local wholesaler ordered it for me but it has come with 2 separate rolls of wire mat. Is this unusual? Im pretty sure there is enough mat to cover the area but what shall i do with the connection of the mats. just connect both control cables to the thermostat or have they messed up? I guess it is not wise to try and crimp the cables together. Also has anybody got any general advice or tips? Thanks

1. the mats are connected in parallel; as with any other loads.

As for tips and advice, there`ve been a few over the years - do a search for "UFH" or "underfloor", and you should find lots of handy advice......

KME

I would carefully study the manufactures instructions, as you have some doubts about the wholesalers supplied items, double check that mats you have been given are the correct power rating and suitable for your supply. Manufactures do a varied range of power ratings and mat sizes and you cannot cut to shorten the element wires. So double check before you lay anything down.

Doc H.

And as I always say with these ............power it up for a short period with the Builder/tiler/customer present so they can feel it warm up before tiling .
Yes was gonna get the customer to watch me take a continuity test and get him to sign a disclaimer, or is this a bit ott? he is a bit of a funny one. I told him that the extractor could not vent to the fascia because it is asbestos. He said thats ok i will drill the hole?!!!! I said no chance, its my name on the cert.

gordy,

There is no issue with the customer drilling the hole in the asbestos fascia as long as he cleans up afterwards correctly.

You can then put down in your paperwork that the unit was fitted to a pre-existing hole.

The board will be an asbestos cement probably thus a low concentration and the fibres will be bonded into the cement, think of it like fibreglass and resin.

Thus the aerodynamic properties of the fibres which allow them to be fully respirable are often destroyed, and very few respirable fibres will be released.

If you are worried before you work on the area wash it down with water or cover in wall paper paste this will stop the fibres from becoming airborne and will eventualy dry out.

BTW, I'm not making this up, this is what I was taught on my NEBOSH General Cert & during my asbestos training!

There is some very good asbestos advice on the HSE website, look for asbestos essentials.

HTH

gordy,There is no issue with the customer drilling the hole in the asbestos fascia as long as he cleans up afterwards correctly.

You can then put down in your paperwork that the unit was fitted to a pre-existing hole.

The board will be an asbestos cement probably thus a low concentration and the fibres will be bonded into the cement, think of it like fibreglass and resin.

Thus the aerodynamic properties of the fibres which allow them to be fully respirable are often destroyed, and very few respirable fibres will be released.

If you are worried before you work on the area wash it down with water or cover in wall paper paste this will stop the fibres from becoming airborne and will eventualy dry out.

BTW, I'm not making this up, this is what I was taught on my NEBOSH General Cert & during my asbestos training!

There is some very good asbestos advice on the HSE website, look for asbestos essentials.

HTH
Yes, Thanks sindewinder, thats sound advice. I used to contract to british gas and they are mad on their asbestos safety. Agreed the AIB doesnt contain a very high amounts but the way i think of it is that if i drill a 4 inch hole the dust gets in my drill, hole cutter, clothes hair etc etc and no matter how well you try and contain it there will always be some of the dust bouncing around your van for the next year. And some of the practices that they teach are **** anyway. How is spraying it gonna help? Unless you can penetrate the whole board its still gonna be very dusty. and i think there was something about being allowed to drill 2, 25mm holes a week or something? Surely it only takes a few particles to give u cancer? Anyway i used the 10m extension and core drilled the gable end. And the heat mat went in fine, thanks for everybodys help.GuinnessGuinnessGuinness

Latest posts