Underfloor Heating Contactor Noises

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The system design that some designers come up with sometimes astounds me.

At this time of year, the house temperature should be well above any thermostat set point, so it it ever, even briefly calls for heat then it has FAILED as far as I am concerned.

Mine is wet UFH so I am not troubled by contactor noise, but there is a very low level circulating pump noise, and if that was kicking on and off every half hour I would investigate and fix it.  but since mine is a clockwork system operating from a time clock and a number of thermostats, I know it is not going to do anything as stupid as that.

As others have mentioned, I would not want a heating system controlled by an "app" that is far more complexity than is needed to heat a house and I cannot think of why you would want to fiddle with a phone to adjust your heating when a timer and thermostat are so much simpler and more reliable.

Oh Dave, you’re really losing touch with today’s world, if it can’t be done or controlled by the piece of technology stuck to the end of yours fingers then it’s far too much hard work any other way. 
back in the day it was the TV remote that made us older types lazy! 

I'm with Dave on this. I think my programmable thermostat is the mutt's nuts. It's certainly quite advanced tech' enough for me!

Why would I want to involve the internet and a load of dodgy software which seems to have to keep changing just to work?

Well after my experiences over the last few days I’m inclined to agree with the sentiments above.

The system knows the floor temperature is 23 (it displays as much), the system knows it doesn’t need to heat at all until the temp drops below 21 (again, it reads as much in black & white). However apparently, according to tech support, when the two parameters get ‘within range’ the system will run a check-cycle every 10 mins or so. This check-cycle actually involves calling for heat for a short time (click), before it establishes it doesn’t even need to - according to its own stored & displayed readings - and switches itself off (click again).

Gotta love technology. At least for the time being the repeated clicking of the contactor has ceased. Will be interested to see how things work when the system is actually required to heat in the coming months.

Thanks again for everybody’s input and thoughts.

I'm with Dave on this. I think my programmable thermostat is the mutt's nuts. It's certainly quite advanced tech' enough for me!

Why would I want to involve the internet and a load of dodgy software which seems to have to keep changing just to work?
well … I installed the Salus IT system in 2013 and it’s perfect for us.

simple to use, actually easier to use the app, set holidays, change temp, adjust when hot water is heated …… and the real bonus is that I can turn the heating down when the misses turns it up too much😁