Underfloor Heating Pump Controls

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skids

Reaction score
Hi All,

Need a bit of advice, I have a underfloor heating system going in, the set up is: heat is coming from a thermal store cylinder (open vented/ no pressure), UFH side is pressurized (due to high top floor). It needs a pump on the primary side (un pressured) to supply a ‘heat exchanger in the middle, which supplies the UFH side (pressurized).

Now, when I wire up the zone pump (of which there are 4) to come on when heat is called for, how do I wire up the primary pump to come on the feed the heat exchanger?

If there was only one pump either side it would be no probs, however with 4 manifolds each with a pump this is proving difficult. I need to start the primary pump independently form any of the 4 zone areas, otherwise all 4 zone pumps would run.

Anyone got a solution, apart from run away.

Regards

Skids

Each manifold will have it's own manifold controller to take care of the manifold circulation pump and the individual zone actuators.

Each manifold controller normally has a volt free "call for heat" contact that closes when any of that manifold's zones calls for heat.

That contact needs to energise a 2 port valve feeding just that manifold.

So 4 manifolds, 4 manifold controllers and 4 2 port valves.

The feedback contact from all 4 2 port valves (the orange and the white) are connected in parallel and feed the primary pump that circulates head from the thermal store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pro Dave,

Looks like the answer. Thanks for your time on this one.

Did not think about the zone valve terminal in regards to supply

Regards

Skids

Hi Pro Dave,

Looks like the answer. Thanks for your time on this one.

Did not think about the zone valve terminal in regards to supply

Regards

Skids
Please use a slightly larger font, this makes my eyes hurt, they are not as good as they used to be :) and welcome